Building A Better Oblivion
Bethesda Softworks' Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is, graphically and in terms of size and scope, one of the most ambitious pieces of gaming software ever released. The game is something of a "sandbox" role playing game, set in the fantasy world of Tamriel where earlier games in the series, including Morrowind and Daggerfall, were set. What keeps Oblivion from being a classic is that: a) it doesn't have much of a story; and b) it does so many little things, like balancing monsters to player level, wrong.
What saves Oblivion is that it's one of the most moddable games ever made, and users have modded it in droves. All of the little problems are fixed by one mod or another, and some amibitious player mods fix many. Many of the mods produced by users expand the game and its story, some improving it breathtakingly.
But finding and installing all those mods, without breaking the game, is hard work. Well, it was until now.
Announcing the Popehat Oblivion Omod Project, or as we like to call it, POOP.
Created by our friend, commenter, and forum member triggercut, POOP is a compilation of the best mods produced for Oblivion, a set which will improve graphics, immersion, story, mechanics, and more, making what we hope might be the perfect Oblivion experience. The POOP project is easy. It self-installs and contains documentation for setup. And it's big. So big that you're going to have to get it by torrent if you want it.
Per triggercut, this here's the straight poop on the POOP:
Guys, I'd like to introduce the Popehat Oblivion Omods Project, or POOP.
I drew inspiration from the GoneGold/OO Morrowind DVD mods project as well as Lum's Oblivion Mods Omnibus from a few years ago and Jason McCullough's never quite released here but similar package.
First off, it's all done. Every mod is packed as an OMOD, and everything you need is in the POOP already–OBMM, OBSE, Wrye Bash, the official and unofficial patches for the DLC and Shivering Isles content.
Here's what's in the rest of the POOP:
1. Qarl's Texture Pack 3, Redimized and Further Reduced as an OMOD. (Scripted to allow you to pick the sweet spot between graphics and performance)
2. Three flavors of "Color Maps" and three flavors of "Normal Maps" with instructions on what they do to LOD and distant landscape views, how they affect performance, and how to pick out what works best (Qarl's Normal Maps and Qarl's Better Tiling)
3. Three flavors of "Noise" filtering (Koldorn's) to work with the "pepper" caused by patch 1.2
4. Two choices of View When Distant: AEVWD (Almost Everything View When Distant) and a smaller version for slower GPUs: Tamriel VWD + Chapels Extras
5. Natural Environments for habitats and vegetation
6. Atmospheric Weather System for skies and weather
7. Beaming Sunglare for better sun
8. Enhanced Water for those who don't like Natural Environment's
9. Low Poly Grass for the performance boost
10.Weather Inside (Seasons) for weather sounds when inside buildings
13.Illumination Within Revived
14.Clocks Of Cyrodiil
16.Improved Doors and Flora
1. DarNified UI in OMOD form
2. Color Map Mod 1.1
3. Dude Where's My Horse
4. Harvest Flora
5. Harvest Containers
6. Book Jackets + Book Placement (Exclusive to POOP, first time these two mods have ever been OMODed and scripted together that I've seen for easy installation)
7. Durable Equipment/Harder Repairs
8. Denock Arrows
9. Cliff's Better Letters
10. Francesco's Leveled CreaturesItems
11. Francesco's Optional New ItemsCreatures
12. Quest Award Leveler
13. Kobu's Character Advancement System
14. SM Plugin Refurbish (fixes how DLC quests start, rather than bombard you with them in the first dungeon)
Items & People:
1. Kafei's Better Amulets
2. Kafei's Better Rings
3. Better Looking Tools
4. Fine Weapons
5. Rusty Items
6. Imperial Armor Replace
7. VA's Better Gold
8. Visually Enchated Weapons
9. TNR Tamriel's NPC's Revamped, All Races Final
10. Slof's Horses
11.Mike's Clothes Replacer
The Always Controversial Optional Folder:
1. Ancient Redwoods
2. Ancient Yews
3. Chorrol Hinterland
4. Colovian Highlands
5. Lush Woodlands
6. Rolling Hills
7. The Heath
(Yes, there are more Unique Landscapes out there; POOP feels that they alter the game too much and/or upset the balance of it to the point of breaking it.)
Game Fixes, Or Not (proceed at your own risk):
1. Realistic Ragdolls & Force
2. Action Ragdolls
3. Real Lights
4. Reneer's Guard Overhaul 1.79
1. Kvatch Rebuilt
2. Glenvar Castle
3. The Lost Spires
1. Streamline 3.0
2. Wrye Bash
3. TES4LODGen (this incredible tool snoops your .ini directory and data folder and collects all mods and makes sure they appear as View When Distant too.
Comes with full instructions on how to install everything and make every OMOD here play well together.
Every mod is either in OMOD format (for easy installation and removal) or another single-click push-button format.
The torrent containing the mods and installer can be found by clicking here.
If you don't know anything about bittorrent, read up on it and find links to clients here. As with any torrent, please continue seeding after download in order that others may have access to it as well.
You may discuss and see more detail on the Popehat Oblivion Omod Project in our forum.
All content within the Popehat Oblivion Omod Project is copyrighted where applicable by its respective authors. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is copyrighted by Bethesda Softworks and its associated corporations. We make no claim of copyright to anything relating to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
UPDATE: June 25, 2008. Tracking code for the torrent linked above has temporarily been disabled by triggercut, while he works on improvements for the project, improvements which will include version stability, updates, and new omods. We wish to emphasize that this is temporary, and that a new POOP, version 2, will be announced and available shortly.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- Adam Steinbaugh - June 23rd, 2015
- Media Coverage Of The Reason Debacle - June 11th, 2015
- Just A Couple Of Questions About Lynch Mobs - April 23rd, 2015
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility For Chip McGee's Feelz. And For Wombats. - January 30th, 2015
- Charlie Hebdo - Open Thread - January 7th, 2015