They Look Different In My Head

Via Flatlander over at OO, I learned that HBO has confirmed most of the cast of the "Game of Thrones" series. This blog has pictures.

Expect a fair amount of out-of-proportion fanboi rage over this series. But as I've argued before, a movie or TV show is an entirely different art form than a book, and it's silly to expect to get from one everything you got from the other. I hear good things about the producers of this HBO miniseries from a friend who knows them, and I think the cast looks good. I suspect the series will be awesome in a way that is completely distinct from the way the books are awesome, probably preserving only outlines of character, plot, theme, and tone — just as both the book and the movie L.A. Confidential are great, but in utterly different ways.

I still think Patrick Stewart would make a great Stannis, and that Brian Blessed would be perfect as Robert if he weren't getting a bit too old for the part.

Comments

I agree with you, fwiw. Looking at the pictures, I can already see some of the characters (and maybe I'll be wrong, but e.g. the kid cast as Theon looks great).

Age is kind of an issue for alot of these parts, since I assume they'll at least want to keep a roughly stable timeline regarding Robert's become king (if you catch my meaning). It's too bad about Blessed being too long in the tooth, because if his age was right his playing Robert would be like the greatest "born to play" match ever.

It's hard not to be excited about this (I am eager to see the attempt despite low expectations), even though it means we will never EVER GET TO SEE THE FREAKING BOOK SERIES FINISHED.

2. laiq says

A Feast for Crows pretty much killed all my enthusiasm for the series, which actually frees me to maybe enjoy the show – now that Martin has lowered the bar, they've got a shot.

3. Sparkylong says

It is difficult for me to believe that Brian Blessed would be too old for any role, whatsoever. Far & away, Blessed is one of the best actors, ever, in my opinion. His portrayal of Augustus in "I, Claudius" was profound (although it must be said, that the BBC production's casting, itself, was genius).

4. jb says

All I want is to see the climax of book 3 in True Blood/Rome/Tudors-esque glory.

"Say it!" "Saaay iiiit!"

I think the youth of the adult actors is an important consideration. Blessed would have been great for those roles back in his I, Claudius days. But Robert Baratheon needs to be a young man – mid to late 30s, or just turned 40 at the oldest. The entire tone between Robert and Ned in the first novel is, "Can you believe we're supposed to be kings now? Hell. I still remember riding around and whooping it up with you as a teenager!"

6. Linus says

I love Peter Dinklage. I think he's one of the best actors working today, and it's a cruel trick of fate that can't get him more roles. Tyrion is such a great character anyway, this is going to be great.

7. mojo says

I dunno. I'd have preferred "Nine Princes in Amber", but then I always liked Zelazny better than Martin.