When Sam Houston State mathematics professor Joe E. Kirk saw that phrase written on a student organization sponsored "free speech" wall, he first ordered students to remove it. When they refused, he attacked the wall with a box cutter.
The President's self-appointed censor, notably, did not savage a nearby inscription that read FUCK BUSH. Fortunately, the Sam Houston State University police responded to student complaints about the vandalism quickly…
By ordering the students to tear down the wall, or face a disorderly conduct charge.
Over 150 years ago, Sam Houston State's namesake proclaimed proudly that "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may." No doubt Sam Houston would be dismayed to find that the school named after him, led by faculty like Joe Kirk, is teaching young Texans exactly that: to submit to oppression.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- Do Judges Have Inherent Dignity? - July 7th, 2015
- Adam Steinbaugh - June 23rd, 2015
- Media Coverage Of The Reason Debacle - June 11th, 2015
- Just A Couple Of Questions About Lynch Mobs - April 23rd, 2015
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility For Chip McGee's Feelz. And For Wombats. - January 30th, 2015