State Legislator Quote Of The Day

"We found out later on that, Constitutionally, you can not ban a type of music," said Ma. "Plus, I, like my opponents said, I didn't really know what was going on."

–Assemblywoman and Speaker Pro Tem Fiona Ma

Comments

I think the appropriate libertarian approach is to encourage individual action by legalizing cock-punching of certain musical populations.

I'm confused…

At the link, they are talking about raves, but the video only shows hookers…

Are they the same thing now?

I really should attend more raves.

3. Just Plain Brian says

I'm confident that now that they've banned LED gloves and pacifiers, kids will no longer do the drug that was already banned, at the events that were already banned.

Nope, can't see a single flaw in that logic.

4. eddie says

“Plus, I, like my opponents said, I didn’t really know what was going on.”

If only more of our elected officials could be this honest.

She’s a Democratic incumbent from San Francisco, Paul. Your money would be better spent on magic beans.

Maybe you could start a rumor that she was seen drinking from a plastic water bottle, or that she referred to her dog as a "pet" rather than "animal companion," or that she made a non-denouncing comment about a gun.

Wait, what? The grand stroke against raves was to outlaw LED gloves and pacifiers? And the expected result is what now? Everybody is just going to go home all frowny faced? Excellent Governor Tarkin, you've dealt the rebel alliance a crippling blow!

And I know state government is full of minor league dingbats, but who gets that far in life, to a leadership role in the state senate, and has to admit out loud that she just figured out she can't just ban music she doesn't like?

And, in my ever so predicable way, I suddenly want to buy a pair of LED gloves. I'd give them to my daughter, and when she says how neat they are, I'd tell her that they have been banned because our state government is infested with idiots. Better she learn now.

7. Piper says

Reverend Shaw Moore: Even if this was not a law, which it is, I'm
    afraid I would have a lot of difficulty endorsing an enterprise
    which is as fraught with genuine peril as I believe this one to be.
    Besides the liquor and the drugs which always seem to accompany
    such an event the thing that distresses me even more, Ren, is the
    spiritual corruption that can be involved. These dances and this
    kind of music can be destructive, and, uh, Ren, I'm afraid you're
    going to find most of the people in our community are gonna agree
    with me on this…

…Reverend Shaw Moore: If we do not learn how to trust our children, how will they ever become trust-worthy?

8. Xenocles says

Why did you cut out the part immediately following where she announced her resignation? Also why are you looking at me like that?

9. Hasdrubal says

I'm confused, did they already ban light sticks? Or are they only trying to ruin the fun of rich kids? (Or maybe it's been too long since I've been to a rave? LED gloves, hmmm.)

I also wonder how many people voted for the bill thinking "lead" gloves?