The Popehat Signal: Looking For A Maryland Practitioner

The Popehat Signal

Hiya, friends.

I'm trying to find some modest-scale pro bono legal help for a blogger. No, it's not me. And though, as you know, I've done pro bono First Amendment cases, I can't handle this one.

The issue is whether a plaintiff in a SLAPP suit against another party in Montgomery County, Maryland can convince a court to force Google to reveal the blogger's identity. The blogger will write the papers; he's just looking for someone to review them, advise on compliance with Maryland civil procedure and strategy, and make an appearance at the hearing (if there is one) in Montgomery County to argue the motion. The blogger can cover costs, but can't afford fees.

The cause, in my opinion, is just; the issue presented is blogger anonymity, and the underlying suit against the third party is a contemptible SLAPP. Moreover, the plaintiff has a rather remarkable history of evil.

If you can help — or know someone who can — please let me know. Time is rather of the essence.

Thank you.

Comments

Popehat signal is nice, but do you think it would be helpful to have a list of people willing to help in advance, and where admitted?

@Noah: You're awesome. Sent you an email.

@d-day: Maybe. But in my experience the lists are hard to maintain, and people are more hesitant to join them because then they feel obligated.

Huge thanks to Noah, who was quick to answer and willing to help out if circumstances had permitted.

Still looking. Thanks!

I can't represent him myself or give advice on the Maryland procedural issues. He needs a Maryland practitioner. Still looking.

Good heavens…I'm a blogger in Montgomery County, Maryland. Good thing I know it's not me! Also, I'm not anonymous.

However, I would love to hear more about the case when it's possible to talk about it. I'm very concerned that other people should be able to keep their anonymity when they need to. I'm just lucky that my circumstances allow me to call anti-vaccine advocates ignorant knuckleheads without any fear of reprisal.

Mara, I'm sharing details with potential pro bono counsel, but my purpose here is not to talk about the merits of the case. Perhaps I will link to that after I've helped find counsel.

Trackbacks