Dirty Asians Set Marion Barry Up!
Marion Barry is on a lifelong quixotic quest to stand out, even in Washington D.C., as a living refutation of the viability of representative government. This week, after winning a council primary (which, it appears, he would have won even if he had strangled a kitten on camera), Marion continued to be Marion:
“We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops,” Barry said on Tuesday night, according to video posted by WRC-TV/NBC4. “They ought to go. I’m going to say that right now. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too.”
Certain theoreticians and academicians, and the sort of people who take them seriously, inform us that only white people can be racist. (Occasionally people outside the academy use this trope when it suits their immediate political goal: see, e.g., "the shooting couldn't possibly have been motivated by race because the shooter is Latino.")
In the real world, the world occupied by people like Marion Barry, we know that certain theoreticians and academicians are full of shit.
[Edited to add the word "certain," without which the point is unclear and/or unfair.]
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Minnesota Court Rules That Criminal Libel Statute Is Unconstitutional - May 27th, 2015
- Post-Holiday Deadly-Sin-of-Pride Open Thread - May 26th, 2015
- Happy To Be Here - May 21st, 2015
- How To Spot And Critique Censorship Tropes In The Media's Coverage Of Free Speech Controversies - May 19th, 2015
- Lawsplainer: The Proposed Federal Anti-SLAPP Act: What It Would Do, Why It's Important - May 18th, 2015