Kimberlin Lawfare Update: Major Pushback By Aaron Walker [Now with court documents]
Note: our prior coverage regarding Team Kimberlin's censorious activities is here.
In our last episode of the struggle against Team Kimberlin — and for free expression without legal harassment — blogger Aaron Walker was muzzled by a Maryland judge who told him to "forget" applicable United States Supreme Court precedent, and had been arrested based on Brett Kimberlin's latest bogus claim of breach of the "peace order" he obtained from a compliant Maryland court.
The tide has turned.
Second, Aaron Walker — assisted by Maryland counsel Reginald Bours and ridiculously overqualified First Amendment expert Eugene Volokh — has filed an emergency appeal of the latest unconstitutionally overbroad "peace order". I'll try to comment on it next week. I've been kind of busy with comics and Bigfoot and yarn, y'all.
Third, Aaron Walker has filed a federal lawsuit against Brett Kimberlin in United States District Court in Maryland. I've pulled the documents off PACER and hosted them. You can read the complaint here and the motion for a temporary restraining order here. No exhibits — too big, sorry. I will not be commenting on this lawsuit. On several occasions I attempted to assist Mr. Walker in securing local counsel. When I've written about the case I've used other sources and never revealed a confidential communication with him, except as specifically authorized in order to ask for help. However, I feel precluded from discussing his federal case, as opposed to the state court proceedings.
More next week.
Edited to add: changed the motion document to the points and authorities rather than the notice, and redacted addresses from both, even though it's a public document.
Edited June 25 to add: A Montgomery County Circuit Court has granted an emergency motion to permit Walker to resume blogging, at least until a hearing on July 5.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- DoJ's Gag Order On Reason Has Been Lifted -- But The Real Story Is More Outrageous Than We Thought - June 22nd, 2015
- "Bald, Fat & Crazy" -- A Book About Perseverance - June 19th, 2015
- Did The Department of Justice Get A Gag Order Silencing Reason About The Grand Jury Subpoena? - June 18th, 2015
- Partial Victory In Patterico's Free Speech Case Before Ninth Circuit - June 15th, 2015
- Department Of Justice Uses Grand Jury Subpoena To Identify Anonymous Commenters on a Silk Road Post at Reason.com - June 8th, 2015