prog rock

There's an old joke about prog rock: "it's the only musical genre where 23:17 could be either the time signature or the track length".

Anyway, I'm a fan of prog rock. A big fan.

In other news, I'm also white, middle aged, male, and have a bigger waist line than I should. All of which should have been pretty well predicted by your priors before beginning this paragraph.

What's not utterly predicted by my demographics is that I'm also a fan of rap and of mashups. So, yes, I'm all over
Girl Talk (Go download the free "All Day" right now, if you haven't already).

So, anyway, when I stumbled into a rap / prog mashup this morning I just had to listen to it a dozen times.

Now it's your turn.

Last 5 posts by Clark

Comments

1. Dan says

23:17 would also be a good name for a prog rock album. Glad we agree on something, Clark. :) Now find me a mashup of "YYZ" and "Juicy"…

2. Dan Irving says

Current favorite prog band is Coheed and Cambria. They have crafted a pretty interesting universe that spans seven albums; each of album a concept album in an of itself. Great live show and excellent musical chops.

3. Dictatortot says

One day I shall mastermind a nationwide prog-country craze. Just as soon as I can find the remaining parts to complete my triple-necked "pedalbanjolin." You have been warned.

One day I shall mastermind a nationwide prog-country craze.

Seriously, though, I'd listen the hella out of that.

One day I shall mastermind a nationwide prog-country craze.

I occasionally troll the local Craigslist musician's section, trying to form a Yes tribute band that plays hillbilly versions of Yes songs.

We'll call ourselves "Yep".

Keeping with the Kansas theme: Here's a 10 year-old Japanese girl playing "Carry On Wayward Son" on some weird Yamaha keyboard contraption. Prepare to be impressed.

6. Uragan says

Clark, I've been currently jamming out to some East German prog rock that I think is pretty awesome. Have you heard of Stern Meissen by any chance?

7. He really said that...?!? says

One of my favorite mashups. Blondie vs The Doors in Rapture Riders.

Not exactly prog rock, but if you're into early/proto metal, check out Kadavar from Berlin. They've got a groovy early Sabbath/Blue Cheer/Amboy Dukes thing going on.

9. CWuestefeld says

I guess you guys haven't had the opportunity to hear "Pickin' on Floyd", a bluegrass tribute to Pink Floyd. Let me remedy that for you:

10. eddie says

Loves me some mashup. Girl Talk didn't do much for me, though.

This one's pretty good. Raising the pitch of COMWS at the start was a little off-putting, but the payoff for the song overall was worth it.

11. Dictatortot says

I'll be right next to you, jamming on my Theramin and Chapman stick, all pumped through my analog-tube effects box.

Awesome! I wonder how good Roger Dean is at painting convoys…

12. Dirkmaster says

Okay, I was goin' jump in by saying that Kansas isn't a prog-rock band, that I think of Pink Floyd, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and Yes when I think of Prog-rock. BUT, Allmusic lists Kansas as prog-rock, so gotta bow to authority.

As for modern examples, Spock's Beard was really good until their original lead singer got religion and left. And I like Flower Kings and if you like concept albums, try Ayreon's 01011001.

13. Fretmute says

When I discovered that the jukebox at my Sunday hangout wasn't filtered, I played a couple of Porcupine Tree tunes for a cool 29 minutes and change. Best dollar ever.

14. z! says

Evidently, you haven't heard the Austin Lounge Lizards cover of "Brain Damage" (readily available on youtube/etc).

15. Dictatortot says

Dirkmaster: Spock's Beard has finally acquired a decent replacement singer, and has just released their first album with him–to which I am listening at this very moment. Moreover, Neal Morse (the original guy) co-wrote and appears on two tracks.

16. LT says

You post this while I'm listening to Yes's 'Endless Dream'. Ah, prog rock. I'm more a fan of prog metal these days- Dream Theater's Octavarium is what's in my car stereo right now- but I still keep my original Genesis and Yes cassettes.

17. Narad says

I'd suggest you try telling this to Don Ellis, but he's dead.

lolwut?

All the Austin Lounge Lizards in the world aren't going to change the fact that Corpus Christi, TX is basically Branson, Missouri, but with death metal bands.

We used to have a decent local music scene, but karaoke and DJs took care of that. Nowadays, it's pretty much limited to metal and bland, frat boy "Texas Country".

That reminds me of the jokes:

"I was 30 minutes late to the grindcore show. I missed the first three bands."

and

"I was 30 minutes late to the stoner metal show. No worries, the opening act was still on their first song."

20. He really said that...?!? says

And then there is the love child of Elvis, Robert Plant, and Bob Marley.

21. naught_for_naught says

@Clark

Thanks for AV Club link. While I never Groked GWAR, I hugely love and admire Steely Dan. In that same season I found this tasty cover of Rikki Don't Lose that Number

22. naught_for_naught says

…and keeping in the theme of avant garde rock, though not prog rock, I give you the Red Elvises. They cominc from Minsk to become America's newest singing sweethearts. If Dick Dale played a balalaika it would sound something like this…

@naught_for_naught: Six String Samurai is kind of a cool movie. It looks really good for being so low budget.

And since you broke the ice by posting Eastern European surf rock, I give you Finland's Laika & The Cosmonauts:

24. cthulhu says

Clark, the Chapman Stick is a marvelous instrument (way out of my price range though); even though Tony Levin (King Crimson and others) is the most well-known player, it is definitely not a prog-rock instrument.

I'm generally not a fan of prog though; for every Traffic (which I love), there are a dozen ELPs (way back in the late '70s, rock critic Steve Simels did a hilarious combination H.P. Lovecraft tribute and ELP takedown that left nothing more to say). Those Roger Dean covers were something else though…

25. naught_for_naught says

@Jack B.

I love this — synchronized finger snapping — genius I tell ya! I just have one critique. I'd like a little more cowbell in the second number.

Lots of folks have embedded youtube clips above.

Awesome!

…and most of them are either bare links or videos that are wider than the blog text column.

FAIL!

Here's the Right Thing To Do ™:

1) go to youtube page
    2) beneath the thumbs up / thumbs down buttons, click "share"
    3) in the newly revealed menu, click "embed"
    4) use the pulldown to select video size. 480×360 works well
    5) copy and paste the iframe… text into your popehat comment

@Jack B:

I second that emotion.

28. naught_for_naught says

Yeah, it's a no go. You have different privileges than we do, Clark. Here is the too large clip:

29. He really said that...?!? says

The straight up copy and paste didn't work for me. On the second one I left off the "[youtube" part and copied and pasted the link only. From the looks of things, you could just paste the address from the address bar and add the "&w=480&h=360 part.

30. He really said that...?!? says

Forgot the close quote on that. :) Of course, don't use any quotes if you do that. It's just the address plus &w=480&h=360

"Keeping with the Kansas theme: Here's a 10 year-old Japanese girl playing "Carry On Wayward Son" on some weird Yamaha keyboard contraption."

Tha fuck?!

32. bkd69 says

Nice, but it fails to dislodge The Kleptones' Night at the Hip Hopera as my favorite hiphop/R&B mashup.

My favorite mashup genre is technobilly, of which the most famous example is the Rednex' Cotton Eye Joe, however, I'll post the only other example I know of, The Grid's Swamp Thing:

33. bkd69 says

DOH! Replace hiphop/R&B with hiphop/classic rock while I go get a fan to ventilate this place after that brain fart.

34. NickM says

In rap, 23:17 is the criminal statute the rapper is currently under indictment for violating.

In emo, 23:17 is the ratio of cuts on the left arm to cuts on the right arm.

In gospel, 23:17 is the numbers of singers in the 2 back rows.

35. Mercury says

I have a massive music collection across many genres (including a 2 TB drive of ripped CDs in native .wav format – wanna trade?). I have really tried to get more into prog rock over the years with varying degrees of success. King Crimson is mostly too weird and early Genesis is just all over the place – you keep expecting the tension/release dynamic to fully pay off but it rarely does. Peter Gabriel sounds like he’s stringing words together at random and the whole thing is usually a mess. Given Peter Gabriel’s current, aging little league coach, easy-going demeanor it’s almost impossible to imagine what a weirdo he was in the early 70’s. Youtube up a live clip or two from that era. Yikes.

At the end of the day I think The Beatles’ ‘Abbey Road’ or The Who’s “mini-opera” ‘A Quick One’ accomplishes so much more with so much less in this area. But I haven’t quite given up yet.

36. jimmythefly says

I'm not sure what to even call it, but to me this is one of the most beautiful things on the internet.

37. Justin Kittredge says

When I am playing first person shooters online I find http://www.galoreradio.com/mashup.html is the best to listen to. Also http://www.gotradio.com has a Mash-Up station. These aren't necessarily the best online options, but when I got a fullscreen game going these stations are low maintenance, no pop-ups, so I can leave my attention on other things.

On That First Site Link, I highly recommend staying on until you hear some of the Eminem Mash-Ups, some of the best around.

Hope ya like.

Later.

38. the other rob says

Wot, no love for Marillion? Of course, they were at their best back when Fish was still the lead singer…

39. naught_for_naught says

I got a bit inspired and put together my own mash-up (at least I thinks it would be consider a mash-up). I put together two of my favorites: Sonny Boy Williamson and Dylan Thomas. I'm trying to post the link as He really said that…?!? suggested. Let's see.

40. Justin Kittredge says

naught_for_naught that is totally awesome, I listened to it and loved it.

41. He really said that...?!? says

Just tripped over this mashup. My new favorite. Thin Lizzy vs. The Pixies.