Open Sesame?

Here's NBC News on the first openly incarcerated-related muppet:

Alex is blue-haired and green-nosed and he wears a hoodie – you might think he’s just another carefree inhabitant of Sesame Street. But there’s sorrow in Alex’s voice when he talks about his father.

“I just miss him so much,” he tells a friend. “I usually don’t want people to know about my Dad.”

My wistful muse is piqued. Everybody sing!

DEA
Takin' your Dad away
On his way to a detention suite.

We can tell you how to get,
How to get to Sentencing Street.

Come and play.
Everything's A-OK.
Social workers here
Make sure you eat.

We can tell you when you'll get
When you'll get to Sentencing Street.

It's a penal playground ride
Once the guidelines are applied
To criminal people like–
(What's probation like?)
To people your Dad is like!
Just be dutiful….

DEA
Takin' your Mom away
On her way to a detention suite.

We can tell you how to get,
How to get to Sentencing Street.
How to get to Sentencing Street.
How to get to…

Last 5 posts by David Byron

Comments

Jeremiah Johnson taught me to avoid the chill at night by burying the campfire's coal and embers deep enough to avoid ignition and by then placing my bedroll on that spot.

2. NI says

How can drug warriors not understand that having all those kids grow up without fathers because their dads are in jail for non-violent drug offenses is going to create massive social problems?

Well we have made incarceration an industry with our parochial bias. Prisoners are now a commodity. It's only reasonable that they become part of the educational zeitgeist.

This is how we prime the expectation pumps for the next generation of product.

4. En Passant says

NI wrote Jun 18, 2013 @9:34 am:

For the prohibitionist government-industrial complex that's a feature, not a bug.

A positive feeback loop means: more jobs for drug warriors; better perqs for warriors; more "victims" and repentant "dealers" saved from a life of crime by incarceration to publicly whine for more funding to save even more people; thus to achieve a "drug free" society, per aspera ad astra.

5. Kalen says

When I was a kid I made a song about my dad being locked up from some Christmas tune that was playing in the prison visiting room. I can't remember the song or the words but when I hear it on the radio every year it all comes back to me… if only I had ever watched Sesame Street.

6. perlhaqr says

NI: I was going to say roughly what En Passant did.

"That's called 'seed corn'."