THINGS TO WANT AND BUY!

We have added an Amazon "store" link  to our front page, very attractively designed, I must say. This does not mean we'll be selling Popehat t-shirts, mitres, panties, or the like, though that day may come. What it allows us to do is provide recommendations on products, so far limited to books and sporting goods, to readers who may be interested in such things and who would like to support our site.

The books added so far are an eclectic lot, reflecting reading material discussed (and endorsed) on our front page, on Twitter, or our Facebook page through the years. And did I mention sporting goods?

We do receive a portion of the price of any sales generated through the site, but the buyer pays nothing extra. All funds received go to defraying out-of-pocket costs for running the site. Any funds received in excess of our out-of-pocket costs will be donated to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, or to some similarly worthy charity.

As always, we thank our readers for their generous support.

And did I mention sporting goods? If only 100,000 of you will buy sporting goods through our store, we can all retire from our day jobs, to fulfill our proper purpose of providing entertainment for you, our valued readers.

Or at least insulting you, as (and if) you deserve.

Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White

Comments

1. VPJ says

No, but I'm thinking that they might sell aluminum pony blinds so that one might observe the ponies in their natural habitat without being endangered by the most sensitive and tempermental beasties.

And if they don't, they should.

2. Shkspr says

The link seems rather shady. I see no indication on your store page that this "Amazon" site is TRUSTe validated. Is this vendor even rated as a 5 star merchant?

3. Philosopherva says

A few years ago, I helped someone at work polish their resume and so gain a new job. As a thank you gift, he gave me what seemed to be an obscure book on an era of history that did not particularly entice me. "A re-gift", thought I. It has occupied space on my shelf since then, and just this past Saturday, I placed it in a pile destined for Goodwill. Now I find the volume listed in the Popehat store, and because I respect the opinions of this site, and find their interests run in similar troughs as mine, I have retrieved Potemkin from the dustbin of my personal history and look forward to receiving instruction and enjoyment from its pages.

4. jimmythefly says

I'd just like to reiterate that it doesn't matter what you buy, that Popehat gets a percentage of ANY sale that starts with a click-through or search from here.

If you're already going to buy something on Amazon (like christmas shopping or whatever), why not help out one of your favorite websites along the way?

The last several years' of my wife's grad-school textbook purchases have really helped out one of her favorite blogs.

5. OngChotwI says

.. The list is missing Clark's favorite movie Hell comes to Frogtown starring Rowdy Roddy Piper.. ;) (Very similar to A Boy and His Dog). And from the looks of that list, someone's familiar with Rishathra.

@Azathoh

No Miéville? Where are Clark's suggestions?

In the author forums yesterday I asked Patrick "how do I get my suggestions listed"?

Patrick told me by phone late last night "just email me!"

They'll show up at some point.

I figured Illuminatus! was a Clark suggestion.

Ugh. No.

That's all Patrick, all the way.

I tried it once and couldn't stand it.

8. somebody says

Loving the book recommendations. I might end up buying from that list.

Does the buyer get any kind of notification/confirmation that you received credit for a referral? I bought a shitty briefcase not too long ago through the Amazon search box, and never got any kind of solid confirmation that Popehat got the cut rather than one of the thousands of shady referral farmers across the internet.

I'm afraid not. But we did receive credit for your briefcase.

If you'd like us to receive credit for a purchase, simply search through the box on the right side of our page, and that should do the trick.

10. Xenocles says

I'm not too surprised that Clark didn't like the Illuminatus! but I assumed that "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" was his.

The works on the list have typically been read by more than one author, and as recommendations are not strictly the province of a single author. We all grew up on sci-fi and fantasy. We all have broad reading interests (covering an even broader span in aggregate). We have all read a comic book before. Etc.

12. Grey Ghost says

I love the inclusion of "The Great Brain," but I'm afraid I'll have to pass on a $13,000 section of bleachers. Maybe next year.

This fills me with delight down to the bottom of my coal-black little libertarian heart.

If Patrick and the other members of Popehat will accept a suggestion, I would love to see movies added to the store. I'd be very interested in seeing what movies you fine gentlemen recommend. (Other than, of course, "They Live" and all of the MST3K box sets.)

14. mcinsand says

I feel like I committed a major success by finally remembering to buy from Amazon through the Popehat link today.

15. Anony Mouse says

Come now, Clark! What was so bad about a book that shifts tense, perspective, and person, sometimes all within a single sentence? Actually, once you get going, it's weirdly hypnotic. It's also one of the few books I felt like I got a contact high from. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas would be another one.

16. hanmeng says

I misread "panties" as "pasties". Which made me think–I realize panties are one of the things you're not selling, but maybe you should should consider Popehat® pasties.