1. Comments are moderated. That means the first time you comment under a particular name and email, one of us must approve the comment before it can appear. We're not hovering over the keyboard here, so if it takes a few hours, or even a whole weekend, for your comment to appear, kindly resist the urge to keep re-posting and re-posting and re-posting. It doesn't actually make us move any faster.
2. We use a vigorous comment-spam filter. We have to. Our filter catches about 25-50 spam per hour these days. Often we don't have time to look through the spam filter for the genuine non-spam comments that sometimes get caught there. It's nothing personal. If you tried to post a comment, and it didn't appear, and it's been days, and you weren't being a dick in the comment, feel free to send an email to Ken or Patrick (at popehat dot com) about it. Your comment is more likely to get caught in the spam filter if it has links or uses popular spam words. If you have a satiric Youtube video to share about the penis enlargement industry, even if it's on topic, no one will ever read your comment.
3. This is our living room, not your living room. You comment as a guest, so please act like a guest we'd like to invite over again. If you think we're jerks, do a better job at that than we do. There's an invisible line that moves with our mood. Try not to cross it. If you go out of your way to cause trouble, we may not do anything. We may be amused. Or we may arrange it that you can never read this site, much less comment here.
4. This is a group blog. Different authors have different perspectives. But when it comes to YOU, we have one perspective. We're like your mom and dad. If you're an orphan, we're like the Communist Party. We adhere to the Party line. Complaining to dad about mom's high-handed, arbitrary decision on your comment will only get you sent to the bushes, to cut a switch.
5. Always remember that you are a special person, and that you are here for a reason. Follow your destiny no matter where it takes you.