Part the first: Mike Morgan was not a fan of Goldman Sachs. He started a web site called GoldmanSachs666, which was somewhat unflattering to the investment giant. Goldman Sachs' lawyers at Chadbourne & Park did what has, regrettably, become standard procedure for lawyers in these situations: they sent a threatening letter complaining of alleged trademark violation. (Because there are six or seven institutionalized people with occasional internet access who, in between their treatments, might get onto the internet and confuse GoldmanSachs666 with something by the actual Goldman Sachs.) But this time, the blogger getting the threatening letter did not back down — he sued for declaratory relief, and recently Goldman Sachs agreed to a settlement quite favorable to him. Hat tip: Mike at Crime & Federalism.
Part the Second: The FIRE reports on the defeat of another college speech code: the Alliance Defense Fund, headed by my law school classmate David French, convinces U.S. District Court judge George H. King to strike down the Los Angeles Community College District's vague and overbroad "offensive speech" ban. Continuing vigilance is warranted, though — if the District appeals, the Ninth Circuit has previously demonstrated a loathsome tolerance of viewpoint discrimination.
Part the Third: Box Turtle Bulletin, which devotes substantial coverage to same-sex marriage and related issues and is a strong voice in support of gay rights, offers a strong and principled argument against Canadian litigation seeking to force a church to accept an openly gay man as an alter server. The notion that most gays and lesbians seek to use the force of law to tell churches what to do remains propaganda.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Popehat Signal Update: Awesome Team Gets Great Appellate Result in Frivolous Case By AIDS Denier - May 3rd, 2016
- Bleg: External Storage Devices For iOS? Wireless or not. - May 2nd, 2016
- How To Write (Or Solicit) A Good Letter Supporting A Defendant At Sentencing - April 29th, 2016
- Marc Randazza Wrote An Amicus Brief About Klingon, And It's Magnificent - April 28th, 2016
- Regarding That Oklahoma Rape Decision You're Outraged About - April 28th, 2016