Expect a fair amount of out-of-proportion fanboi rage over this series. But as I've argued before, a movie or TV show is an entirely different art form than a book, and it's silly to expect to get from one everything you got from the other. I hear good things about the producers of this HBO miniseries from a friend who knows them, and I think the cast looks good. I suspect the series will be awesome in a way that is completely distinct from the way the books are awesome, probably preserving only outlines of character, plot, theme, and tone — just as both the book and the movie L.A. Confidential are great, but in utterly different ways.
I still think Patrick Stewart would make a great Stannis, and that Brian Blessed would be perfect as Robert if he weren't getting a bit too old for the part.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- RIP Abe Doe - October 21st, 2016
- Lawsplainer: The Ninth Circuit and Compelled Speech About Abortion - October 17th, 2016
- Thanks and Congrats To Dhillon Law Group For Important Pro-Bono Anti-SLAPP Win - October 10th, 2016
- Hillary Clinton, the Sixth Amendment, and Legal Ethics - October 10th, 2016
- FIRE Attacks Northern Michigan University's Shocking, Wanton Rule Against Students Sharing Suicidal Thoughts - September 22nd, 2016