Over the last few weeks we have received dozens of spam comments promoting — if that is the word — a Certain Mega Firm. I can see Certain Mega Firm's offices from my window.
As tradition dictates, someone using some sort of auto-spammer program hit us with dozens of comments targeted to multiple posts here, including posts in which I call out legal spammers. The posts have randomized names and email addresses, probably spoofed IP addresses, and the same content: "[Certain Mega Firm Name] Attorney [City]", followed by the address of one of the firm's many branches in a major city.
Normally, if the mood struck me, I'd out them and ridicule them. They're a gigantic and rather conservative megafirm, and certain other law blogs would find it hilarious that someone was promoting them with the same tactics typically used to market drugs that improve your man-junk. We have great fun here with spammers. Though the impact would be akin to a gnat biting a whale, it would be embarrassing to them on some tiny level.
But I've decided to be whimsical. I am 99% sure that nobody inside Certain Mega Firm did this. I once toiled at Certain Mega Firm, and there are people still there that I like very much. So I emailed a friend, showed him some links (including the Google link showing that this spam is posted all over the internet), and suggested that his web or marketing departments go drop the hammer, hard, on any outside marketers they are using.
Maybe I will be rewarded with an announcement that they have fired their marketers. That would make my day. If nothing else, I will be happy if a MegaFirm becomes aware of one of our favorite sayings: when you outsource your marketing, you outsource your reputation and your ethics to questionable people.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- FIRE Attacks Northern Michigan University's Shocking, Wanton Rule Against Students Sharing Suicidal Thoughts - September 22nd, 2016
- Kindly Shut The E-Fuck Up - September 14th, 2016
- California: No, You Can't Show That Civil War Painting At A State Fair. It Has a Confederate Flag In It. - September 13th, 2016
- What It's Like For The Client Subjected To A Bogus And Retaliatory Investigation - September 8th, 2016
- Huge First Amendment Win In Federal Criminal Threats Case - September 1st, 2016