Hit & Run has a link to the video of an interview with Roxanna and John Green, parents of Christina Green, the 9-year-old slain in the Tucson shooting this weekend. Their grace and dignity is heartbreaking and deeply humbling.
In their shoes, I would be railing against guns, against mental health laws, against politicians, against God, against anyone I could blame in any way, whatever my closely held beliefs before the tragedy. But John Green is a better man. He says:
This shouldn't happen in this country, or anywhere else, but in a free society, we're going to be subject to people like this. I prefer this to the alternative.
He sees it. Bless him for it; I don't know if I could.
It is in the wake of a tragedy that we must be most vigilant against people in power using our emotions to justify restraints on liberty.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- Popehat Signal Update: Awesome Team Gets Great Appellate Result in Frivolous Case By AIDS Denier - May 3rd, 2016
- Bleg: External Storage Devices For iOS? Wireless or not. - May 2nd, 2016
- How To Write (Or Solicit) A Good Letter Supporting A Defendant At Sentencing - April 29th, 2016
- Marc Randazza Wrote An Amicus Brief About Klingon, And It's Magnificent - April 28th, 2016
- Regarding That Oklahoma Rape Decision You're Outraged About - April 28th, 2016