Hit & Run has a link to the video of an interview with Roxanna and John Green, parents of Christina Green, the 9-year-old slain in the Tucson shooting this weekend. Their grace and dignity is heartbreaking and deeply humbling.
In their shoes, I would be railing against guns, against mental health laws, against politicians, against God, against anyone I could blame in any way, whatever my closely held beliefs before the tragedy. But John Green is a better man. He says:
This shouldn't happen in this country, or anywhere else, but in a free society, we're going to be subject to people like this. I prefer this to the alternative.
He sees it. Bless him for it; I don't know if I could.
It is in the wake of a tragedy that we must be most vigilant against people in power using our emotions to justify restraints on liberty.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- FIRE Attacks Northern Michigan University's Shocking, Wanton Rule Against Students Sharing Suicidal Thoughts - September 22nd, 2016
- Kindly Shut The E-Fuck Up - September 14th, 2016
- California: No, You Can't Show That Civil War Painting At A State Fair. It Has a Confederate Flag In It. - September 13th, 2016
- What It's Like For The Client Subjected To A Bogus And Retaliatory Investigation - September 8th, 2016
- Huge First Amendment Win In Federal Criminal Threats Case - September 1st, 2016