Tragedy makes people say, and do, stupid things.
Let's note just a few of the stupid things said in the last 48 hours. This is by no means an exclusive list. Nor is it even-handed.
Item: Sarah Palin aide Rebecca Mansour says that bullseyes on a map — referred to by Palin as bullseyes, and used together with "don't retreat, RELOAD" rhetoric — were "surveyor's symbols." [I shouldn't have to say it, but these days it seems that I do: this is stupid, dishonest, cowardly, and embarrassing even though there is no indication that Palin's rhetoric had any connection whatsoever with this shooting.]
Item: Representative Bob Brady of Pennsylvania wants to offer a bill banning campaign symbols like the crosshairs on the map.
Item: As Patrick noted below, Rep. James Clyburn seems to think that the main lesson of the shooting should be that he ought not have to mingle with plebs at the airport.
Radley Balko offers a poll about which response is the most ridiculous.
Count on the shooting to keep delivering concentrated stupid for some time.
Edit: Okay, now that shit is funny.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- If LawBot Wants To Know About My Anus I'm Sure It Has A Reason - October 26th, 2016
- Popehat Signal: Help Defend A Seuss-Trek Parody Under Fair Use - October 26th, 2016
- RIP Abe Doe - October 21st, 2016
- Lawsplainer: The Ninth Circuit and Compelled Speech About Abortion - October 17th, 2016
- Thanks and Congrats To Dhillon Law Group For Important Pro-Bono Anti-SLAPP Win - October 10th, 2016