Wow, it sucks to live in, or visit, some places in the world! Over in Nigeria, they're looking to jail you for ten years if you "support" any "gay clubs, societies, organisations, processions or meetings". That's obviously anathema to American values and hateful to most Americans and to any GOP candidates who are showing well in the polls. Over in Thailand, as before, they are prosecuting and jailing people who write even mildly critical things about the king – even when the person in question wrote and posted the criticism on a blog in the United States. Sounds like an excellent reason never to visit Thailand. Also, the Thai authorities helpfully point out that it can be a crime even to "like" certain pages or posts on Facebook, which seems pretty extreme to me on days when I have not reviewed what my friends on Facebook like.
Wow. Foreign countries and their censorship. It's like all that nuttery in Canada, but without the relentless geniality and good donuts. Am I right?
Thank goodness that can never happen here in America where courts protect people's freedom of expression.
Well, I mean, sure. We've decided to let the government do pretty much whatever it wants in the name of Homeland Security. And sure, it appears that the government has decided to cash that blank check by devoting the entire weight of the federal criminal justice system to fellating the recording industry and other industrial interests by doing stuff like shutting down blogs for a year without disclosing their reasons, without allowing the blog owners to review or challenge the basis for the seizure, and without anything remotely resembling due process. And sure, the RIAA's catamites in Congress are pushing for legislation that would give the government even more power to take unilateral action against web sites that irritate their whip-holders.
But that's all so very decorous. America: we're not crass about how we censor.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- FIRE Attacks Northern Michigan University's Shocking, Wanton Rule Against Students Sharing Suicidal Thoughts - September 22nd, 2016
- Kindly Shut The E-Fuck Up - September 14th, 2016
- California: No, You Can't Show That Civil War Painting At A State Fair. It Has a Confederate Flag In It. - September 13th, 2016
- What It's Like For The Client Subjected To A Bogus And Retaliatory Investigation - September 8th, 2016
- Huge First Amendment Win In Federal Criminal Threats Case - September 1st, 2016