For reasons that will be evident below, I didn't push Reason Magazine's fantastic July 2011 issue, which took a hard look at America's criminal justice system. I should have sooner. If you care at all about criminal justice issues, it's well worth a read. As I've been saying for a long time, everyone should be outraged about how the system doesn't work, because it strikes at the hearts of all of our values — conservatives, liberals, libertarians, and [whatever you call the people who want to regulate Happy Meals]. It deserves the praise it has gotten. Radley Balko and the others involved (including but by no means limited to Jacob Sullum) deserve major kudos for showing what a news and commentary magazine can still do.
Let me add that I'm very proud to have been a small part of it. Radley kindly recruited me to write a blurb about the culture of prosecutorial misconduct. That was my first byline in a national publication; I'm stoked that it was in Reason.
Wow! Hey, Ken, you just revealed your secret identity! Well, yeah, kind of. But realistically the veneer of anonymity has grown pretty thin. When even a cuckoo-for-Cocoa-Puffs twit like Marc Stephens can find me in a few minutes, and when newspapers are making the connection, and when relatively soon I expect to be further outed in a story of a successful pro bono defense of a science blogger against a SLAPP threat [watch this space], there's not a whole lot of point in making a big effort to remain anonymous. I still support bloggers who do, and still believe in my reasons, but the cat is pretty thoroughly out of the bag at this point.
It shouldn't be said, but I will say it anyway: I don't use this space to promote my law firm, and nothing here represents the position of the firm. It's all my fault. I don't plan to throw my full name around here, because this space isn't about my firm.
Seriously, go read the Reason criminal justice issue, if you haven't already.
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- FIRE Attacks Northern Michigan University's Shocking, Wanton Rule Against Students Sharing Suicidal Thoughts - September 22nd, 2016
- Kindly Shut The E-Fuck Up - September 14th, 2016
- California: No, You Can't Show That Civil War Painting At A State Fair. It Has a Confederate Flag In It. - September 13th, 2016
- What It's Like For The Client Subjected To A Bogus And Retaliatory Investigation - September 8th, 2016
- Huge First Amendment Win In Federal Criminal Threats Case - September 1st, 2016