Chelsea Kay of KRCR-TV Supports Shooting, Being A Lapdog

In the War on Dogs, trigger-happy officers have one boon companion, one stalwart friend, one ally who will never give them up, never let them down: the media.

Just ask Chelsea Kay of KRCRTV.

Chelsea reported on a story about cops shooting dogs. In this case, Redding police were looking for a fugitive, who visited a room in a motel. Police nabbed their man and were arresting him when a dog described as a "boxer puppy" "charged" the officers. The officers, apparently in fear of their lives from the puppy, opened fire, killing the puppy and a pregnant Chihuahua who was "caught in the line of fire."

There are many different angles that a journalist could take in a story about police shooting a charging puppy and gunning down a Chihuahua in the process. A journalist might write a hard-hitting story on whether the officers' fear for their safety is rational. A journalist might ask whether, if officers are shooting puppies in a manner that leaves other dogs "in the line of fire," the officers need retraining in firearms safety and use of force, whether that Chihuahua could just as easily have been a child, whether the officers' assessment of the relative danger of puppies vs. gunplay reflects rational thought.

Chelsea took a different angle:

After Redding Police were forced to kill two dogs Friday night, a Northstate family is now offering two puppies to console the family.

Awwwww ….. what an adorable gift-of-a-puppy human interest story! And since Chelsea has dispatched those nasty, uncomfortable, unpatriotic questions by the fifth word of the story — stating, as a given, that officers were "forced" to shoot a puppy — we can rush headlong into nice thoughts about how puppies are swell.

The press acting as the placid lapdogs of law enforcement is not new and is certainly not limited to cops who kill puppies. What can we do about it? We can seek out multiple news sources and multiple types of news sources. We can view journalists with skepticism. We can write about the issues ourselves. We can call them on their bullshit.

What we shouldn't do is be passive viewers. Doing so is asking to be duped, in a world in which nominally dog-loving journalists write docile, canine stories in support of police shooting puppies.

Chelsea joined the KRCR News Channel Seven News Team in November of 2011.

. . .

In her free time, Chelsea enjoys traveling, watching movies, yoga, and the beach. You'll find her spending time with her friends and family and snuggling with her dog, Rocco.

Watch your back, Rocco.

Hat Tip to Radley Balko, who owns the cops-vs.-dogs topic.

1. Mad Rocket Scientist says

Yep, horribly vicious, they'll grab on and take the finish right off your boot leather.

2. firehat says

I'm pretty sure it's a conflict of interest to report on LE matters when your immediate family includes a cop. That's a pretty serious "I forgot to mention."

To be fair, we should all (yes, I'm including myself and all other bloggers as part of "the media") report on both the good things and the bad things that LE does. As it is, the bad stuff always gets the hype, and the good stuff gets second chair. That's when it's not just turned back at the door, that is.
    Lapdogs? No. Fair? Yes.

4. Lago says

These stories always make my blood boil. Not that i like chihuahuas or anything. But the senseless dog killings by police matters more to me than I care to admit..

5. Kim Scarborough says

The last line of the article: "When an officer kills an animal, the Police Chief reviews it to determine if it was justified." I have to wonder, has the Police Chief ever ruled that an animal killing was not justified? Might be an interesting question that a, y'know, reporter might ask.

"To be fair, we should all (yes, I'm including myself and all other bloggers as part of "the media") report on both the good things and the bad things that LE does."

You are so right. Today, my local police did not kill a single small-breed dog. Unlike yesterday. Wow, it feels so good to be a positive force for law enforcement.

7. Diane says

Ok and why is this the reporters fault? She did not kill the dog she just reported it! Grow up Redding!

8. JC says

Rocco has nothing to be concerned about because Rocco has done nothing wrong. Only the dogs that have done something wrong have a reason to be afraid (the chihuahua was an accessory as we all know).

9. Grandy says

As it so happens, your garden variety LE official is very good at determining which dogs have done something wrong and which have not. It's a sixth, or even seventh, sense.

10. Z says

Ken, do you expect hard hitting, independent, unbiased journalism from the U.S. media in 2012?

11. mojo says

You have to wonder if the other cops give him a ration over it in the locker room…

"Hey, killah, what up?"
    "Arf! Arf! Arf!"
    "Pooch puncher!"

12. Mandy says

Well, I heard the chihuahua had the "pungent" odor of burning marijuana about her, and the boxer made "furtive gestures," which made the officer "fear for his safety." Only after identifying himself as a police officer and instructing the aforementioned canines to halt was the officer "forced" to "discharge his weapon." Did I miss any?

13. Mercury says

This actually surprises me given my recent experiences although the obvious answer is that dogs aren’t part of the “environment”.

As far as I can tell, cops these days typically defer all animal issues to the local animal control officer whose job is not to protect people from animals but to protect animals from people. And these muni-employees aren’t the tough-guy, cigar chomping dog catchers with Marines tattoos on their forearms that you may remember from your youth but crunchy, clog-wearing, usually female clipboard holders without weapons of any kind in evidence.

You could have a rabid looking raccoon/coyote/fisher cat wander onto a playground full of kids and the animal control officer will (after making baby talk to the crazed mammal) close down the playground for however long it takes to avoid “stressing” the animal and under no circumstances will a decision be made on the spot to remove the animal from the area…and God help you if you take matters into your own hands.

14. Christoph says

I don't know, man. I'm a bit sympathetic because boxers kind of freak me out.

I dated this girl who had one and aside from always being concerned that the dog was going to rip my throat out, I always had to admit she loved him more than me. But since she was screwing me and not him, I let it slide.

15. Jay H Curtis says

"That you know of."

Ouch. The question would then have to be whether the dog was better? 8-)