Marian Call is on a Quest

Marian Call Adventure Quest

Photo by Studio Valette,

A Kickstarter quest! Back in 2010, with help from her many fans, the charmingly geeky Alaskan songstress Marian Call managed to pull off a tour of all 50 states and a dash of Canada. In the wake of her album Something Fierce, Marian is now aiming to play Europe.

She has the music. She has the armor and weaponry. She has the kickstarter video (see below).  She has the adorably dorky Adventure Quest game by means of which the supporters of her kickstarter may unlock cities across Europe (i.e., bring her to them to play). She has a FAQ. She even has the publicly accessible thumbnail budget, whereby she establishes herself as the most open administration in history.

All she needs is support! The initial kickstarter amount takes her, and her guitarist, to England and Wales. Resources above that level unlock other countries, as shown on the game's map. Especially if you're a Popehat reader in Europe and a fan of Marian's work, please follow the links and see whether you'd like to play her game: (The kickstarter) (The game, rulebook, loot inventory, and adventuring opportunities)

Longtime readers of Popehat may recall my coverage of Marian's music– especially her lyrics– here (shallow) and here (deep).  I'll be supporting her quest, even though it means sending her far, far away to gives shows I won't attend. If you like her way of making, funding, spreading, and sharing art, then I invite you to join me!

Click to envidify!

Last 5 posts by David Byron

Gal, she does, but she is true. Good people, awesome voice, and probably the lowest cost of entry to "patron of the arts" status you could possibly imagine.

2. Capt Dingleberry says

She must be good since the Kickstarter goal has already been reached. I guess a little extra for some presents to bring back from good, old Europe will be appreciated though.

@Capt, that clinches her trip to England and Wales, and covers the core expenses. Anything given above the initial goal will go to "unlocking" countries on the continent. Fans in unlocked countries will then determine which cities! Her map and FAQ will be updated to show progress.

It's a pretty creative way to set an itinerary while ensuring that costs are covered. (With a party of two, both bards, they should really consider bringing a cleric….)

It's amazing that the goal was reached in 2hrs, but the game remains afoot!

4. AlphaCentauri says

Thanks for the tip. It's nice to see independent artists able to control their music by taking control of the finances. Her musical styles are all over the map.

5. Damon says

@ docrailgun,

Red hair? Check!
    Armour Bikini? Check
    Alluring gaze? Check

Confirmation: Lust!

6. Secular Absolutist says

AND she's in concert in LA next week. See you there Ken??

I love she takes paypal and the ticket is a screen capture of the paypal receipt. I love she uses kickstarter to finance her tours. Most likely, the big business music chronies in Hollywierd can't even see this as a business model and here she is making a living doing it! I hope she writes an ebook on her adventure into stardom the i'way.

I wish I was born about 25 years later. Dang!

7. tarylcabot says

not a gamer, but after your review, i purchase a handful of songs from Something Fierce & then a few from previous album (being a Firefly fan, got a kick out of "It's good to have Jayne on your side". Happy that you continue to support her.