It's The First Annual Jon Lundberg Award For Outstanding Achievement In The Field Of Excellence!

Blogging is by its nature self-promotion, so you may be thinking that I ought not be throwing the first stone at someone who is very impressed with himself. I can only say this in my defense: I'm not promoting myself with your tax dollars.

In this I am different than Tennessee state Representative John Lundberg.

Lundberg has introduced a resolution in the Tennessee legislature bragging on himself and his business, a PR outfit called The Corporate Image. It's nauseating.

WHEREAS, this General Assembly finds it appropriate to pause in its deliberations to acknowledge and applaud the owners and employees of The Corporate Image for their dedication to furthering the public relations industry in the State of Tennessee and throughout the region, the nation, and the world; now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE ONE HUNDRED EIGHTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE, THE SENATE CONCURRING, that we hereby honor and commend the owners and employees of The Corporate Image upon their celebration of the company’s 20th Anniversary, and extend to them
our best wishes for every future success.

Rep. Jon Lundberg views his position as an elected representative the way a 13-year-old boy views a tube sock. But I come not to bury Lundberg, but to praise him: he's just more honest about it than other legislators.

Via Radley Balko.

Comments

1. Nicholas weaver says

Ken, you are so lucky I didn't have my coffee cup in my hand, otherwise I'd sue you for the tort of negligent destruction of keyboard due to spit take.

2. cb says

"RepresentativeJonLundbergIsFlexible"

I should know better than to read Popehat before finishing my coffee. Time to get a new keyboard

3. James says

Hubris Alert: all forms of communication are a form of self-promotion. I wouldn't feel bad about blogging, but I'd feel bad about trying to get all my colleagues to give me a gold star through official channels.

4. naught_for_naught says

OK. Ken, you win a frickin' award for this line. It's a new award that I've just created. I'm calling it the pH. It's given to acknowledge satirical writing that is superlatively simultaneously both base and caustic. Well done sir.

5. Joel says

That link in your article leads to: "This is not the first questionable and highly expensive resolution that has been penned by the Bristol spin doctor—in a previous year, Rep. Lundberg sponsored a resolution honoring his daughter for graduating from high school."

Any truth in that?

6. Tom says

7. LT says

And my coworkers wonder why I keep refusing to get my TN driver's license. I like being able to say, "No, I'm just visiting from California" and not having to admit I have to live here now.

Though the tube sock metaphor made me giggle mightily. Hell, I'll buy the man all the wank socks he wants, if it'll mean he'll quit wasting my tax money on crap like this.

8. Josh C says

I'm generally pleased as punch with legislatures that "waste time." With some notable exceptions, everything they do is terribe to a greater or lesser extent, do them taking time off to fluff eachother is great.

Hearing folks with libertarian leanings complain about rulemakers' wasted time is incredibly dissonant for me. It's like hearing someone complain that the KKK has taken to staying in and socializing, instead of fulfilling their purpose.

9. JT says

WHEREAS I have a public relations company, and
    WHEREAS this resolution is free advertising for said company . . .

the tube sock line made me choke on my lifesaver…you need a disclaimer on this blog: reading can be hazardous to your health…or really, just don't read while eating."

11. Hughhh says

"different than"

I don't understand how people continually get this wrong. It vexes me so.

12. That Anonymous Coward says

At least he didn't pass a resolution for a 200 yr contract with is company to rebroadcast his declarations.
    Oh crap, I've given him an idea…

13. Ron says

"the way a 13-year-old boy views a tube sock"
    Honest to God, I don't get it. I have pretty sick mind too.

14. Grifter says

@Ron:

Tube socks can be used to cover certain appendages that 13-year-old boys have recently become acutely aware of, so that when it has performed its secondary (or primary, I suppose, depending on your perspective) function, the clean up is easier.

@Tom: "I wonder if the rest of the legislature goes "Oh crap, not this guy again" any time anything with his name on it comes through."

No. After John Ford's tenure in the legislature, not to mention the interstate shooting, pretty much anything gets nothing but yawns anymore. I think he did finally get out of federal prison. Compared to some of the Fords he was only mildly deranged. I think it was his brother Edmund who called for blacks to riot and raze the city of Memphis is the city wouldn't pay to fix a [irony alert] condemned church.

For some reason, most of Tennessee wants to expel Memphis from the state.

16. naught_for_naught says

>TAC

"Insert Tab D into Hole S"

Almost as good as the original quip. You get a quarter share for that.

Between the tube sock metaphor, the explanation of said tube sock metaphor, and the demonstration that the subject matter of the post is par for the course in Nashville, this qualifies for at least an honorable mention in the contest for Greatest Blog Post of 2013.

Seriously, the tube sock metaphor is right up there with, you know, the taint thing.

18. Anony Mouse says

As annoying and back-patting as this is, this isn't any different than what every other state and national legislator does at one point or another. It's right up there with "reading things into the Congressional Register" (in front of a chamber containing the person reading and the recorder) as pointless puffery.

I'm not sure how many resources were wasted with either of these. Five minutes to read it, five seconds for everyone to go "aye" and… that's it. I guess paper is wasted, and technically those 5.2 seconds could have been used for something else.

But considering how else those few minutes could have been used, I'd rather have him patting himself on the back.

19. joe pullen says

The coffee is not going where it should – first Ken, then I see Grifter and TAC's comments. Always nice to start the day with a laugh.

20. Alex the Too Old says

I *was* going to sarcastically thank you for the ear worm from the title, but then… tube socks. Yeah. o_o;;

21. AlphaCentauri says

I guess I'm dating myself. The tube sock thing went past me, too. I guess moms don't supply their sons with cotton handkerchiefs for their pockets any more.

22. markm says

It took me a few seconds to figure out the tube sock thing – then I thought about it from my 13 year old twin grandsons' viewpoint…

Trackbacks