The truth of the fence

viaangusI HATE THE MAN! I HATE THE MAN! I HATE THE MAN!  I hate the– I hate the FARM. The farm is not my friend! The farm is not my friend! It is not, not true. I hate the dark voice! I do not – I hate the voice! I hate the voice! The fence is in my head. The fence is in my head. Not the man…. Not the man. Not Roy.

Here is the weak part of the fence. The fence! Is in! My head! The fence! Fence! Fence! Fence! It made a sound. The fence is in my HEAD! The fence is in my HEAD! The farm is not my FRIEND! The farm is not my FRIEND! It made a loud sound. The fence is STRONG where the fence is REAL! The fence! Is in! My head! The fence! Is in! My head! It is not TRUE. It is not TRUE! It is not TRUE!

I’m out! The weak part of the fence broke. What can I do? What can I do?

Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Find Roy! Run! Find Roy! Run! Find Roy! Run! Find Roy! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! Run! The farm. Is not. My friend. The farm. Is not. My friend. The farm. The naughty said maybe. The naughty said maybe. Run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run—Life has no fence. Death has a fence. Life has no fence. Death has a fence. Run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run run. I do not know where to go. Roy! Roy! Roy! Roy!

Last 5 posts by Via Angus

Comments

1. Gus Bailey says

I am greatly beset with trepidation. The voice is naughty. I don't think Angus fully understands why he broke through the fence. Without understanding, the outside of the fence is a terrible and wonderful place, but you must understand to know the difference between the terrors and the wonders.

May God watch over you Angus.

The voice is very naughty. The fence is not bad, the fence only defines the farm. The farm is bad. Angus still has his brand.

2. Justin Kittredge says

Angus shall remain free. As his understanding of the outside world evolves, he shall become a Libertarian. That is when his greatest struggle shall begin, changing the world.

3. Dion starfire says

I know the vagueness of Angus' metaphors is part of their charm, but could somebody give me a link* to a limited translation so I can at least start to appreciate his subtle commentary?

* I prefer a link so we're not providing spoilers for the folks who'd rather not have Angus' obliqueness and subtlety shattered with an outright explanation.

4. Mark - Lord of the Albino Squirrels says

@Dion starfire

I've got a theory myself, but it may be along the lines of the Skyrim/Full Metal Alchemist/bugs in jars/ pentagram theory – fits all the info presented very well but is probably just a coincidence.

If I post any kind of link to a "translation" (a whole book available on Project Gutenberg) it might give the whole thing away – which is no fun – or I could be totally wrong.

As a vague hint to my likely false theory: The dark voice may have up to three different names depending on her aspect. If you turn one of them into a cute modern nickname you could get something like "Hattie"; especially when she gets drunk. Or I might just be a nut.

5. AlphaCentauri says

In other news, they're creating an app so drivers can instantly obtain permits to harvest meat from roadkill …

6. grouch says

Years ago, I acquired two black angus calves. Friends and neighbors warned me not to give them names because then they would become pets. After about the third time fixing the fence — there was and is nothing but heavily wooded wilderness beyond — I gave them names. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, one was named "Hamburger" and the other was "Steak". They swapped names on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. On Sundays, they shared a single name: Soon.

Payback was delicious. I am an omnivore.

7. Gus Bailey says

@Justin Kittredge, I hope so, but that path is narrow, while it is clearly marked it is also a path from which it is easy to stray. Fortunately the path is immutable. Even if one is lost, the path persists and can be re-attained. It is in those pitfalls that the voice spoke of who provides for the grass and the nuts? There are limited acceptable ways for Albus to acquire fodder; I hope he can find one.

Good Luck Albus. Beware of Men who look like me, with sticks like mine.