In Which I Get An Early Holiday Present

Yes, I said "Holiday Present" specifically to annoy people who get irritated when told "Happy Holidays."

Remember Professor Anthea Butler? She's the one who wrote the epically ridiculous and meandering pro-censorship column about "Sam Bacile," suggesting among other things that he should be prosecuted for an ugly anti-Muslim video because the U.S. military says he should be.

Yeah, she didn't like my post about her.

AntheaHatesPopehatButPopehatLovesAnthea

What the hell is wrong with me? What's this bizarre feeling? Am I having a stroke? It's . . . I'm . . . I'm happy.

Comments

1. Quarthinos says

I just looked at her feed and she's suggesting Popehat is unequipped, but doesn't specified what equipment is missing… Maybe it's a second X chromosome?

Someone please explain the point or the logic of the "lol" at the end of that tweet. My take? There is no point or logic: "lol" is the new full stop. (But then there's the period after that, so, yeah . . . I'm confused.)

3. Dion starfire says

You, sir, are a petty, vindictive, hateful man … and I totally agree with you.

I'm curious, though, how the bad professors fans reacted to this statement.

4. Brian Kemp says

I had some fun at her expense too. Penn & PSU are confused more than either university's alumni would like.

1. Butler is hilarious.

2. Butler is not representative of all professors! C'mon, "the intellectual bankruptcy of the hopelessly beclowned modern academy"? When a lawyer says something stupid, should we conclude that all lawyers are stupid?

3. "Beclowned" is a great word.

6. Dion starfire says

<tangent>
    A great explanation of "happy holidays" (for those that hate the phrase) was well articulated by Penn Jillette. You can find the video here. </tangent>

7. ZarroTsu says

@Quarthinos

Maybe it's a second X chromosome?

Pretty sure Ken's happily married, so it couldn't be that. Any other speculations?

8. Malc says

Can we ridicule her grasp of grammar, please? Pretty please? Oh, go on…

On the other hand, perhaps Professor Anthea Butler's confusion of past and future tenses is some kind of Orwellian newspeak? As in "while the block will happen at some time after the quoting of the Forbidden Popehat, it is deemed to happen instantaneously for all purposes"?

Or maybe Twitter has retained Professor Anthea Butler for some unspecified purpose, and as a special favor for her they've implemented a new, otherwise undocumented Block-o-Mat where posting The Dreaded Popehat tag directs the might Twitter Servers to instantly block the offender?

Or may

9. KronWeld says

Wow, she must have been really hurt by your post Ken. I mean More than a year later, she blocks any mention of you on her Twitter. That festered a long time, or she wants more attention as she has fallen out of the news.

Burn. Oh Ken, do you feel the burn?

If you're asking do I condemn the entire legal system because of how some lawyers get away with acting, I have to ask — have you READ this blog?

11. JP says

IDGI – Is she (a) just now getting pissed, or (b) getting re-pissed, over something Ken wrote over a year ago? Or maybe she jut really likes ponies?

12. bud says

The final entry reminds me why I avoid twitter.

Snark with substance is delicious. Snark without is just… snark. Far too many people today haven't grasped this, and think they're "really letting 'em have it!"

140 characters leaves little room for substance.

13. MrSpkr says

Fourteen months later, she has this response?

Does Penn State deliver Teh Internets by carrier pigeon or somefink?

14. AlphaCentauri says

I sort of assumed she had downloaded an app that automatically blocks people on a twitter feed anytime a certain text string appears, just like there are ones that automatically follow anyone who follows you. It should be trivial to create something like that.

15. I was Anonymous says

@Dan Weber,

Even worse than being Reported, it's going to go on his PERMANENT RECORD!!!!

16. Sami says

… You know, I was thinking she was an idiot and bad at her job from the column and the rest of the things she said, and then I saw that "lol", and now I think she should be fired FROM A CANNON, not just her job.

It is said that a person can be judged by the quality of their enemies.

(Looks at Ken's enemies, the likes of Carreon, Schmalfeldt, Butler…)

So. Uhm… yeah. Sorry about that, dude.

18. DataShade says

Didn't Sam Bacile pretend to be an Israeli jew, attempt to solicit investment funds under false pretexts, tell muslims that he was working with finances provided by other Israeli jews, all under the direction of (or at least in partnership with) Steve Klein, a man who's gone on record to say he believes the US is full of muslim terrorist sleeper cells and that it was his mission from God to incite them to violence so they expose themselves and can be destroyed?

I'm not comfortable with some of the rhetoric targeting Bacile, and I'm not suggesting that Klein shouldn't be free to run his churches where he trains people with firearms and survivalist skills to weather what he believes is the end times, but I think that pretending to be a member of an historically oppressed ethnic group while attempting to incite a second ethnic group into targeting the first group with a racially- or religiously-motivated riot can fit the description of any one of a number of criminal statutes.

19. Stephen H says

Darn you Popehat – you made me wish someone happy holidays on Twitter. On the bright side, I included you in the wishes.

20. wgering says

I'm tempted to create a Twitter profile just to tweet Popehat- and/or pony-related things at her.

Also I hear Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk tweet some funny things sometimes.

21. LazyHorse says

It's too bad that someone with the brains to teach at Penn and come up with a great word like "beclowned," can't also use those brains to think. It is probably too much to hope that her smarter TAs will be doing most of the teaching in her classes, until they become tenured, de facto 1st Amendment supporters and don't have to think anymore.

22. Jacob H says

@Datashade –

Really? Which ones? I can't think of any; the idea that the video was "attempting to incite" a riot is debatable, surely – since IANAL, idk, but I bet the standard for charging someone with inciting is pretty darn high (to protect free speech rights)

23. LazyHorse says

My understanding is that incitement is more likely to lead to a conviction if you are physically present with a group, and your speech is clearly urging the crowd to cause damage to people/property that is at least likely to happen if it doesn't actually happen. It's kind of hard to understand how a YouTube video would be immediate enough to be the kind of speech that would violate an incitement statute. Maybe if it named a particular time and place to riot, along with instructions on what to burn? I can't imagine how else it would really be incitement, unless general rabble-rousing is now a crime.