This Post Knows The Gate. This Post Is The Gate. This Post Is The Key And Guardian Of The Gate. Past, Present, Future, All Are One In This Post.

Good times! These are the good times!

Oh the fun one can have with a lick or two by Nile Rodgers of Chic, one of the unsung musical masters of the century last gone by.

As shown above, nearly anything can be done with the tune, and its lyrical hook. That's songwriting.

Including this:

These gentlemen, the official choir of the Russian internal police force, probably don't speak a word of English. But they do speak mankind's common language, of being up all night to get lucky. What tickles me about this performance and video is the incongruity of these very pale, very proper, most un-hip men, who under other circumstances might be using a truncheon to beat songs out of suspects in the Lubyanka basement, expressing such a happy and universal desire. Fun is where you find it.

You can teach an old dog new tricks. But can you retrain your police department?

Last Monday's strange interlude, in which Clark and I vomited out multiple quick posts over a span of hours, produced much consternation among you people. It was a Popehat tradition, something that occurs roughly annually, "Instapundit Day." Every Instapundit Day we:

A) Pay a weird sort of tribute to one of the most talented, prolific, and influential bloggers around;

B) Amuse ourselves by parodying his style (with affection), while clearing out old links; and

C) Drive some of you people bonkers.

I leave it to you to rank those priorities.

Speaking of you people, a number of you reached out to us on Twitter to ask whether Popehat had been hacked. It had not, unless my infrequent use of the site counts as hacking. A number of you, who evidently don't follow us on Twitter, seemed horrified on discovering "Zombie Dog," Popehat's unofficial mascot, who is featured prominently on our Twitter page. What you wanted to know was, why am I looking at a bleeding dog, and who did that to him?

Zombie Dog

The answers, of course, are: "Because"; and, "It's Just Food Coloring." The photo was taken on Halloween in 2011. Note the pumpkin at the mailbox.

This is what Zombie Dog looked like this morning.

IMG_0251

He's getting up there in years, but isn't ready to shuffle off any time soon, Bog willing.

Unfortunately, that can't be said for Arfee. Arfee shuffled off on July 9, 2014, under the gun of Officer David Kelley of the Coeur D'Alene, Idaho Police Department, in a case of mistaken identity. Officer Kelley mistakenly identified Arfee as a threatening, "vicious Pit Bull," when in fact, Arfee was a restrained, non-threatening Labrador Retriever, who could never have harmed Officer Kelley.

Kelley and another officer were responding to a report of a suspicious van in a possible child enticing case when they approached Jones’ van around 11 a.m. Kelley said in his report that he was afraid of being bitten in the face by the dog that lunged at him through the window.

“In this particular incident, all board members agree Officer Kelley feared for his safety and used deadly force to protect himself,” said the review board’s report.

However, Kelley didn’t appear to consider his location – the crowded parking lot behind Java, the report said. He was firing toward an intersection and residential neighborhood. The other officer, whom Kelley was training, was on the other side of the van and tinted windows obscured the line of sight.

At the time of the shooting, Arfee was confined to his owner's van, as the owner went into a coffee shop. How the dog could have gotten out of the van is a mystery. How the dog could have harmed Officer Kelley is beyond me. What isn't beyond me is that Officer Kelley had no reasonable fear for his safety, no objective basis under which he could deem Arfee a threat. Officer Kelley shot Arfee through a windshield, which presumably would have prevented this "vicious Pit Bull," or Labrador Retriever as it turned out, from eviscerating Officer David Kelley.

David Kelley then hauled off Arfee's corpse, leaving behind a helpful note explaining to Arfee's owner why he was no longer Arfee's owner. Astonishingly, Kelley has been found to be in violation of department safety policy for firing his gun in a crowded parking lot, where he could have hit people including his own partner. Not so astonishingly, Kelley will face no discipline for what he did to Arfee, who posed less threat to Officer Kelley than I do, typing from my keyboard 3000 miles away.

After all, Arfee is no more, thanks to David Kelley's sure and steady finger on the trigger. This post is going nowhere, and Google is forever.

People have told us we focus too much on cops who shoot dogs, ignoring more important problems, such as officers shooting unarmed teenaged human beings. Those people are missing the point. We write about appalling stories like Arfee's because, well, we really like dogs, but also because we know that teenagers, and let's be real, especially black and brown teenagers, seem more threatening than man's best friend. Especially after they've been written up in a police report as having flashed a "shiny" or "metallic" object, or having made a "furtive" movement toward their pockets. Sort of the way any dog shot by a cop, magically, becomes a "vicious Pit Bull," even if it began its day as a Labrador Retriever, like Arfee. Someone should write about this.

At Popehat, "Officer Shot Dog" is a metaphor. What it really means is, "Be Very Careful When Reading Stories Of Police Shootings Of Human Beings, And Remember That The Media Are Often Cop Stenographers."

As for the dogs, we've come too far to give up who we are. Why do we still allow heavily armed police officers to roam around with less training on how to deal with a common, generally peaceful animal than what we provide to mail carriers?

And now for something completely different.

This  comes by way of my good friend Clark, who comments, "This man is my hero."

I could nitpick and critique this honest citizen's response to a brutal police invasion of his home ("Your invocation of Federal precedent is laughable") but why?

This man is my hero.

Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White

Comments

1. Matthew Cline says

From the title I thought this was going to be about #GamerGate. Now I have to figure out some way to combine #GamerGate and Yog-Sothoth.

2. Stephen H says

I'll see your Russian Police Choir, and raise you the Red Army Choir, singing Sex Bomb.

As a side point, I believe the UK police still patrol without guns except when on special assignments for which they have been specifically approved. Happy for a Britlander to correct if this has changed, or if they are still not allowed guns but instead play with toys such as tasers. I suspect that an unarmed police force might have to work a little harder on "community relations", and keeping the locals happy – not altogether a bad thing.

Ouch, that's a depressing thing to read before bed.

I'm going to go hug my non-vicious pit bull.

She could probably pass for a lab.

4. Dan Weber says

At first I saw the title and was "this is one of those Patrick posts."

And then I saw the video and was "no, this is one of those artist posts."

Then I saw the author and was "man, this is gonna be a ride."

Anyway, next time we debate the dangers of leaving your dog in the car, we should add "cops decide to shoot through the dog."

(Also, this post doesn't have the "war on dogs" tag.)

5. ZarroTsu says

I wonder when we're going to get a story about how a cop shot at a legitimate threat, but a dog jumped in the way.

Bonus points if the dog happens to be driving a minivan.

Categories when viewing the post on the main page; Tags when viewing an individual post on its own page.

Doesn't have to be that way, but it has to be some way, and that's a way.

7. Don says

I love that video more every time I see it. I don't know what nonsense the dude is babbling about a requirement for the cops to provide three forms of ID, and he sounds like he's at least sipped the sovereign citizen koolaid. But he sounds like less of a bozo than the cops. First turn that off, then don't aim that at be because I don't know what it is. Though I knew it was something to turn off. Then I need to see your ID because we are looking for someone but don't know what he looks like, so somehow ID will help.

8. Sad Panda says

Thumbs up to '40s and '70s. All versions sounded period-correct to me, and (no fault of this artist) most of them sucked. I suppose he could have pulled something better out of the '60s.

Instapundit day was pretty wtf. I'm glad there was no commenting allowed on those posts.

More importantly, the guy dealing with the attempted police home invasion was impressive. Not much chance I'd have my wits together like that if confronted in my own home.

9. MelK says

From one of the articles: "His body camera was not turned on during the incident."

Oh, really? You're approaching a suspicious van, and your body camera is not turned on…

10. Sheriff Fathead says

@Stephen H: you are broadly correct regarding UK police. Most police don't carry firearms and never will: only specially trained officers can, and then only when specifically authorised to do so. Anecdotally, the bar for "specifically authorised" seems to have dropped over the years: police at major airports have routinely carried what look like assault rifles for at least two decades, and a few years back I was shocked to see a copper toting similar weaponry on the street, with no signs of any incident unfolding. (Admittedly, he was standing just outside New Scotland Yard.)

Tasers count as firearms (they can only be issued to authorised firearms officers, according to Wikipedia at least), but the bar for their deployment and use is lower (for example, tasing a man in a diabetic coma).

As to whether an unarmed force automatically means better community relations: the Metropolitan Police has had a notoriously shaky relationship with London's black community over the years, resulting in some spectacular riots (the last of these admittedly in response to a police shooting).

Northern Ireland is different: there, all police are routinely armed, and are allowed to carry sidearms off duty.

11. Doctor X says

That video was followed by this fantastic one:

safe for work–no swearing–a truck pulls a cop over for speeding and driving while using his cell phone. Worth the watch to see how the demeanor of the cop changed after he tried finding a violation and, to quote the trucker, "that what happens when they know they are being recorded."

12. Doctor X says

Weeeeellllll . . . that is sort of their "job." Just as for every citizen who does something wrong there are multiple attorneys trying to get him exonerated.

Yet, every so often, there is a policeman and a citizen who is innocent.

This is the same reason physicians treat both.

13. Czernobog says

I have an OT question, for those of you who know more of the Law than I do, which is basically all of you.

The Ray Rice thing. How unusual is it for a first time offender to get away with pleading "Not guilty" and getting let off with anger management counseling when there's video evidence of them beating their S/O unconscious? People are angry at Goodell and speculating on whether or not he saw the video, but no one seems to be angry at the Atlantic County prosecutor, and he definitely saw the video.