Vote For Popehat's 2014 Censorious Asshat Of the Year!

Having skipped a year, Popehat will now continue its tradition of polling you, gentle readers, to elect our Censorious Asshat of 2014.

Only people or entities that we've written about in 2014 are eligible. I've culled the many asshats down to a few, based on volume and vigor of censoriousness, ridiculousness, hubris, and an X factor that I know when I see. Noted censorious asshat Brett Kimberlin has ascended to our Censorious Asshat Hall of Fame and is no longer eligible. Don't be greedy, Brett.

Vote early and often! Here are the candidates:

Carl David Cedar, a Texas attorney who threatened blogger Scott Greenfield with violence and lawsuits when Scott criticized Carl for swiping someone else's blog content. In Aggravation: A rare example of threats that are longer than my analysis of them. In Mitigation: ultimately pathetic, like a college sports star gone to seed.

Crystal Cox, blogger and litigant, who won an important free speech victory even as she engaged in a deranged nationwide blitz of frivolous litigation against her critics. In Aggravation: Sued people, including yours truly, in 10 different federal courts for criticizing her. In Mitigation: batshit crazy.

Michiko Shiota Gingery, Koichi Mera, and GAHT-US Corporation, litigants against the City of Glendale, who filed a patently offensive and frivolous lawsuit on behalf of reactionary Japanese factions seeking to suppress a Comfort Women memorial in Glendale because history hurts their fee-fees. In Aggravation: revisionists and atrocity apologists. In Mitigation: none.

Professor Thane Rosenbaum, who tried to do for censorship what John Yoo did for torture: make a legal case for it. Rosenbaum put logic and First Amendment doctrine in stress positions in an effort to justify broad and unprincipled "hate speech" laws. In Aggravation: "Fire in a crowded theater." In Mitigation: As an academic, has had no exposure to adversarial testing of his awful legal theories.

Jim Ardis, Mayor of Peoria, who abused the power of the state to get search warrants to identify and raid someone who authored a clearly satirical Twitter account about him. In Aggravation: Lack of remorse, open use of lap-dog cops and judges. In Mitigation: Streisanded into the stone age.

Bergen Community College, which forced a professor on leave and required him to visit a psychiatrist because he posted a picture of his young daughter in a Game of Thrones t-shirt. In Aggravation: Went straight for the "OMG Virginia Tech think of the children!" excuse. In Mitigation: As modern college administrators, deprived of role models displaying common sense, proportion, or shame.

Dale D. Berkley, Senior Attorney with the United States Department of Health and Human Services, who sent a threatening letter to a blogger over a patently satirical post on government letterhead. In Aggravation: Your tax dollars paid for that. In Mitigation: what else is he going to do all day?

"Crisis Manager" Xavier Hermosillo, who was hired to help repair the reputation of the California town of Murrieta after its residents screamed at buses full of kids, and shrewdly elected to threaten a cartoonist with . . . we're still not sure exactly what. In Aggravation: YOU HAD ONE JOB. In Mitigation: To be fair, threatening cartoonists is a step back from screaming obscenities at kids on buses.

Miles Sisk, who sought to bring the mighty power of the University of Oregon government to bear against mean students who used memes to make fun of student senators. In Aggravation: Betokens doom of our civilization. In Mitigation: where's he gonna learn better?

Ares Rights, a shadowy firm that continues to abuse the DMCA in an effort to suppress reporting on and criticism of clients including the Ecuadorian government. In Aggravation: Persistent, utterly amoral. In Mitigation: managed to shut up Adam Steinbaugh for several minutes.

Roca Labs, which sells pink slime you eat to stop feeling so empty inside, and which is intent on one-upping Prenda Law by suing EVERYONE FOR ALL THE SPEECH. In Aggravation: Preposterously litigious and shamefully intolerant of criticism. In Mitigation: High potential for long-term entertainment and eventual cinematic flame-out.

Ken and Patrick of Popehat, who used Popehat's comments and Twitter feed as their own living room and ejected people who annoyed them when the mood struck. In Aggravation: Remorseless, rude, absent-minded, foul-mouthed, generally douchey. In Mitigation: Only idiots think that's censorship.

Voting closes at 5:00 Pacific Time on January 2, 2015.

This poll is closed!
Poll activity:
Start date 29-12-2014 12:40:09
End date 04-01-2015 11:22:00

Poll Results:

Who shall be Popehat's Censorious Asshat of 2014?

Comments

1. PLW says

Gotta got with the guy who used the power of the government directly. Sorry Peoria, but you chose him.

In further aggravation for Mayor Jimmy, actual cops with actual guns showed up and actually arrested a guy, possessions were taken, actual rights were violated.

And if he doesn't run for the state legislature in 2016, he will be reelected without difficulty – the Streisand Effect will have no lasting impact.

Roca seems like the biggest and farthest-reaching, though, as always, it's a dishonor just to be nominated.

Does "whoever's responsible for the Sony Pictures thing" not make the list because they're outside the US, or because the whole thing's such a convoluted mess that we don't actually know who they were or whether their aim originally had anything to do with The Interview at all, or because their attempt to suppress speech consisted of illegal acts and threats instead of an abuse of the legal system?

4. VPJ says

I can only hope that when Mayor Jim runs for higher office, his opponent plays the "But I wasn't nominated for the CENSORIOUS ASSHAT OF THE YEAR!" card early and often.

I also hope his opponent has the foresight to hand out bags of popcorn.

5. no says

Eew. Polled by Ken. Now I have to wash and wash and wash and wash… hey this stuff doesn't come off.

6. Dave Crisp says

Had to go for Roca on the basis of sheer batshittery (I'm pretty sure that suing Marc Randazza is legally considered "suicide" in some jurisdictions) but both Ardis and Ares deserve at least honourable mentions.

What a great bunch of candidates, I really need the "vote often" option – choosing between, for example, Michiko Shiota Gingery et al., Roca Labs and the Mayor is tough.

8. John Baker says

Now this is the hardest decision since glazed or cream filled. I'd say Michiko Shiota Gingery, Koichi Mera, and GAHT-US Corporation would win in a landslide if there was anything remotely funny about what they did (not that any of it is funny except when they get schooled).

9. Josh C says

Ardis, no contest.

I still think that Hermosillo was incredibly effective: he capered on the sidelines until the heat was on him instead, thus allowing the town to fire him instead of addressing any real concerns.

10. Fatwa Arbuckle says

I had to vote for Ardis, given his (ab)use of armed, badged and immunized union goons to punish someone for mocking him.

In a just society, he'd have been, ah, dispatched and put on display in an Esso station.

11. Fasolt says

Had to go with Jimbo Ardis (abuse of power) over Roca (abuse of common sense and overall douchery), though it was very close.

12. Wyrm says

I had a hard time choosing. Three names actually caught my attention there.
    – Crystal Cox, though I'll let this one go on the "batshit crazy" defense.
    – Mayor Jim Ardis, but I decided we can't save citizens from him if they don't vote him out themselves.
    – Roca Labs, which I decided to vote for in the end because of their efforts in setting a new record of enterprise abuse after the infamous Prenda Law.

I also considered the Ken and Patrick option for the fun of it, but I wouldn't want to illustrate Poe's law…

No fair, because I so want to vote for Ken and Patrick for something, anything, coz they rock!

Absent that opportunity, I vote for Mayor Jimmy. But are there term limits on censorious asshattery or is this guy going to go on and on with this stuff?

14. Nyarlathotep says

Voted for the professor. No matter how bad the others were, they were individual cases. The professor was trying to get censorship enshrined as a basic principle of law.

Oh man, so many choices this year! (Yes, I'm de-lurking just to make this observation)
    While I have no doubt Ardis, Roca, or Cox will likely win, I had to go with Carl David Cedar because I personally found that whole thing hilarious, although I am disappointed that he has removed his crappy "Text-to-Speech commercials" (especially the one that uses the phrase "home slice") from YouTube.
    I also tend to be a sucker for the funny ones…that is why On Press was my favorite of 2013 (even though there was no voting last year)

Oh, wait! Cedar's youtube video is still up. I tried to find it a few months ago to show someone and I kept getting a "this video is private" notice.

17. George William Herbert says

Ardis. Not just the censorship, not just the overreaction; abuse of position of power to inflict criminal law investigations on enemy.

18. Babs says

Crikey, talk about Sophie's choice. So many worthy candidates. I was thisclose to selecting our friendly Mayor Jim since he deployed actual thuggery, but I ended up going for the prof, as I felt he was the leader in the "should know better" category. Plus, to Nyarlathotep's point, his asshattery would be more far-reaching and censorious if he got his way.

19. Rich says

How about all the police department goverment maintained facebook pages that provide a designated public forum for expessive speech from the public but then proceed to block anyone who doesn't felate them with thank yous and undying love for their sacrifice. Starting with the greenville sc police who recently tased and beat autistic man incapable of speech. The guy they blocked is me. I asked what ras under terry vs ohio did they have to detain them. Sorry to ruin your voting party with my not so on topic vent. Feeling powerles right now.

20. Mattthew I says

Bergen College. They’re educating a new generation of Americans; we all can point and laugh at Crystal Cox and Roca and the rest, but what about the people “learning” from those administrators?

21. Jim Tyre says

Patrick and Ken of Popehat, For Banning And/Or Blocking Me

Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky.

If banned or blocked, one would have to violate the CFAA by, you know, accessing the blog without authorization. Perhaps even going so far as to set up a fake account!

Fair Warning to allay'all who have been banned or blocked, Ken is trying to induce a criminal act. And don't think he won't rat you out if you do.

You may thank me later.

22. M says

Is United AIrlines too late to play? This lawsuit today is sure to leave a nice print on the leatheriest of couches.

23. Garrett says

May I suggest another entry: North Korea. For threatening to bomb movie theaters in real life for showing a bomb on-screen.

24. Jacob H says

Definitely Ardis. As so many others have said, he actually sicced men with guns on his target. And in 2014, the the year of (public awareness of) the out-of-control cop.

Was it just me, or did it seem like that Miles kid didn't really belong on this list? I mean, he's just some kid student who wrote an idiotic editorial, as far as I can tell. Yes, he's some kind of "student senator," but if that's anything like I imagine, a very tiny fraction of the university student body votes for or cares about that. It basically seems like a glorified student extra-curricular club. Even when the original post came out, I remember thinking it was sort of punching down.

25. Dictatortot says

Hmmm … which contestant do I most badly want to see as the continuing subject of florid, incredulity-begging follow-ups throughout the upcoming new year?

Roca, you complete me.

26. Kilroy says

As someone blocked by Popehat on twitter, I still voted for Ardis. Unless Popehat somehow gets a swat to show up at my door, Ardis hands down winner.

27. Ancel De Lambert says

The Comfort Women case, because people that not only deny history, but attempt to force others to forget about it make me furious.

28. David C says

I voted for Jim Ardis, but now I wonder if I should have. He was able to use the police because he was mayor, but many of the other people on the list would have done the same if they had the power.

29. onehsancare says

Tough, tough choices, but it's hard to beat the little man with his own little army of thugs.

30. onehsancare says

Oh, come on! Really? 65 votes for Ken and Patrick? They can't have banned 65 people who still come back to vote.

31. Marc J. Randazza says

Ardis is a one-hit-wonder though. Calling him Asshat of the Year is like calling A-Ha the band of the '80s. Take on Me was fucking awesome, but still just one flash in the pan.

32. JoeT says

Having Patrick and Ken listed is just too funny…. and then I remembered that Mayor Ardis used the pointy and violent end of the executive branch to silence people over some drug use jokes.

33. ghost says

I voted for Ardis as well. In this poll, not at the polls. I would add the cops who obeyed his orders even knowing they had no legal authority to do so.

34. ztc says

I gotta go with Roca on this one. Obvious merit aside, I have faith that winning this poll will end up in Popehat being served with some kind of asshatty lawsuit from Roca, which would result in gigglefits for all involved.

35. Kenster says

I voted for Roca. It takes a certain level of arrogance, tenacity, delusion and insanity to do what they've done. Ardis is a close second, but loses due to the fact that he went after one dude, while Roca's been spraying that machine gun all over.

36. DavidD says

The Crystal Cox saga was the most entertaining but the Bergen(-Belsen) CC attack is the most dangerous precedent.

37. Dragonmum says

Sparks, Thanks for pointing that out! I think Crystal's "Reverend" incarnation is by far the most innocuous of any of her previous ventures into cra-cra land. Guess she's in a manic, hypersexual stage of her, um, issue she probably needs meds for… Maybe all her Goddess love will filter down into her "spreading the rage around" activities. I originally voted for her, cause last night at 2:30 am (after going back and revisiting Ken's lyrical posts on all the honored nominees), her type of crazy floated to the top of my asshat-o-meter. But now I'm gonna go back and vote for Roca – Ardis might have sent guns out for people, but no one was physically injured (except the law, freedom, etc.) Roca destroys people's lives, health AND are taint-licking asshats.

BTW – thank you, Ken and the Popehat posse for writing this blog, exposing vexatious asshattery and pernicious pony plots, but also for helping those of us who mostly lurk (and may even be bleeding-heart liberals) understand the small pieces that keep the big principles (esp 1st Ammendment) in place.

38. AlphaCentauri says

Lots of good choices, but the guy using criminal instead of civil law as the stick he beats people with has crossed a bigger line.

Wow. Lots of other people besides me were blocked on Twitter. I spent way too much time the other day trying to figure out which inane tweet of mine pushed me over the brink.

40. NickM says

Ardis had the single most egregious act of censorship, but Roca's entire body of work beats him out.
    And Bergen Community College doesn't belong on this list. They weren't trying to censor speech; they're just too crazy to tell the difference between a famous TV show quotataion and the Unabomber's manifesto.
    Now if there were an award for Delusional Paranoid Moonbat of the Year, they'd win hands down.

41. The Man in the Mask says

I voted for Ardis, but would like to remark in passing that if anyone can figure out how to set Roca on a collision course with Prenda, I will happily donate $100 to that person's favorite charity — first, out of profound respect for their ability to manipulate third parties, and second, in joyous anticipation of an unending stream of entertainment.

Also, "Take On Me" was not the best one-hit wonder of the 80's; I think I'd have to go with "Lunatic Fringe" (Red Rider) or "She Blinded me With Science" (Thomas Dolby).

42. rudytbone says

Berkley is an unelected (also unaccountable) official and also a lawyer – you'd think they'd know better. I consider that mindset in the bureaucracy to be the most dangerous of all.

43. Fasolt says

Wow. I hadn't had a chance to take a dip into the crazy pool Crystal Cox calls a website before. It was a bit jarring seeing Real Estate advice links next to the Mother Goddess links and the numerous advocacy groups she lists. I'm particularly interested in the "Ant-Human Traffic Advocacy" group. I'll have to read up on them later. I for one am OK with Ant-Human traffic. I would say some of my best friends are ant-humans, but sadly, I haven't met any yet. I have listened to a few Adam Ant songs though.

I must admit I took a perverse pleasure in wandering around the site for a few minutes and substituting the word "paste" for various words on the site.

I really shouldn't impugn a fully accredited self-styled Investigative Blogger (and Reverend) like Crystal. After all, because of her website I now know that, we are all now, as a matter of law, journalists.

44. Joe Blow says

Personally I'd say the most censorious asshole out there is the guy who sicc'ed the IRS on ~400 TEA Party groups and a couple of the more irritating Occupy groups based on their politics, then covered it up and in fact sought to encode his viewpoint-based discrimination in the revenue code implementing regulations.

When a guy with nukes tries to silence you, *that* right there is some shit.

But that's just me and how I feel. What do I know. It's possibly some loony blogger is actually worse.

45. Joan Smith says

I voted for Ardis not because of his abuse of government power, because Bergen successfully demonstrated you do not need government power to make someone's day inconvenienced, but for, as far as I can tell, actively ruining the most people's lives and convincing more people to do villainous things, even by the standards of today's era of frivolous DMCAs and lawsuits.

Bergen belongs because suppressing the individual making the speech is not so different from suppressing speech itself. They were a runner up for me, but Daniels and his roommates rated slightly higher than Schmidt because Schmidt got reinstated to a job of relative comfort but the kind of guy who is a line cook may never live down "the government has it in for me."

46. JanderPanell says

When I think of censorship, I think of someone using their official position to make a governing body (or the body as a whole deciding to) attempt to block someone's speech in violation of 1A.

So, because I feel like typing something that no one will read, here's my analysis of each candidate and choice for Censorious Asshat of 2014.

Crystal Cox – Whiner. No real power. Eliminated from contention.

Carl David Cedar – Whiner. No real power. Eliminated from contention.

Michiko Shiota Gingery, Koichi Mera, and GAHT-US Corporation – Whiner. No governing power. Eliminated from contention.

Professor Thane Rosenbaum – Stupid, obnoxious, opinion. But, no action, just an opinion. Eliminated from contention.

Mayor Jim Ardis – The leader in getting police AND judges to carry out his attempt to suppress speech. Quite the ASSHAT!

Bergen Community College – The logical extension of a Zero Tolerance mentality. Punishment without thought, not really censorious. Eliminated from contention.

Ares Rights – A foreign group misrepresenting DMCA takedowns to try and memory-hole criticisms of Ecuadorian government. They're abusing someone else's power (i.e., US Laws), but they are a strong contender.

Roca Labs – Real whiners! But everyone one of their attempts to memory-hole criticisms should be easily smacked down with anti-SLAPP counter arguments. Eliminated from contention.

Miles Sisk – Did he actually accomplish anything? If so he's a contender, but it looks like he's just a cry-baby in a student government position.

Dale D. Berkley, Senior Attorney with the United States Department of Health and Human Services – Federal contender! Again, did he actually accomplish anything?

Xavier Hermosillo, "Crisis Manager" – Contender! Acting on behalf of a City Government, he sent a threatening letter. Nothing accomplished.

Patrick and Ken of Popehat, For Banning And/Or Blocking Me – I haven't been banned …. yet. But it still before midnight. Maybe I should wait before voting?

So, when all is said and done, for pure abuse of power that did more than just send a threatening letter, my vote for Censorious Asshat of 2014 goes to MAYOR JIM ARDIS!

47. VPJ says

How in all that is douchey can a second-rate Prenda be whipping up on a stalwart paragon of state censorship like Mayor Jim?

48. Marc J. Randazza says

JanderPanell wrote

I take no issue with your rankings or choices – but,some redneck animal-fucking shithole states do not have Anti-SLAPP laws. Only six states have real Anti-SLAPP laws.

So if you're going to write such a lengthy comment, at least make people the same degree of stupid, or less stupid, after they read it.

49. Marc J. Randazza says

VPJ December 31, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Maybe because Jim Ardis went after one critic, and Loco Rabs went after scores of them?

50. albert says

Dagnabit, Ken!
    I can't pick one. I can only hope the results serve to show the _degree_ of asshattedness of the individuals.
    Do you have a little brass-plated pewter statue that you could actually present to the winner? I'm thinking of a mitre with the initials 'A' 'H' on it, or something of that nature. It would be nice to send a picture of it, along with the certificate, to the lucky winner.
    I gotta go…
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

51. JanderPanell says

Marc J. Randazza wrote:

I, too, hate stupid. Bad mistake of mine. In the back of my mind, I do remember the lack of broad implementation of Anti-SLAPP laws, and should have mentioned it there.

In my defense, I am a physicist, not a lawyer. Everything I know about the subject, I learned from reading Twitter and blogs such as Popehat, SJ, and yours. I feel honored you read it and took the time to respond to my rambling … even if it was to chastise me.

52. Marc J. Randazza says

You are a physicist? Can you invent an anti-stupid time warp machine and cure some of this shit!????

53. JanderPanell says

I am. (But only a Masters, no PhD.) I think with the proper number of 8-figure government grants and years of research, I'm sure I could invent something that would be as useful/valid as 90% of the patents of the last 20 years! You'll have to find/fund someone else to build/maintain it though.

54. ghost says

What happened to popehat's Twitter? I don't have one, I just have a bunch of Twitters in my bookmarks, but now the popehat feed is private. Is someone trying to shut you guys down? If so, tell them to snort taint and go to hell. The world needs popehat.

55. JanderPanell says

Popehat going dark on Twitter probably has to do with the multitude of bot-followers he got today. Only way to stem the tide is to go private. Should be back up in a day or two.

56. rmd says

Ooh, exciting contest. It looked like it was going to be Ardis in a rout, but Roca has taken a lead in the last turn. Can Ardis pull it out in the home stretch?

57. I Drank What? says

Why isn't this a bracket tournament? I'd like the chance to vote for more of these at least once.

58. Ian Bagger says

I think the folks acting under the cover of state power are the strongest contenders. Roca, while certainly the most wildly entertaining of the bunch for a lawyer to watch, is acting purely in its interest and does not purport to have its hand on the lever of governmental tools. It will be smooshed in the courts and in the press (I have all faith in your good work, Mr. Randazza), to the extent anyone pays attention. It's between Berkley and Ardis for me, with the edge to Ardis since he actually sent armed cops to fuck with the objects of his ire.

59. babaganusz says

agreed that Ardis is the most deserving on multiple levels, but i still went with Rosenbaum, out of pure quasi-idealism (edging out BCC due mainly to watered-down conflict-of-interest and the latter's relative 'lack' of Sinister Unsaids). imo, Cox should go directly to the hall of fame because winning 'an important free speech victory' in the thick of such shenanigans is pretty special, innit? also think there should be more patience for Roca's comeuppance – but then again i have ~zero sense of the timing of reputation fodder.

60. Resolute says

Roca Labs is a strong contender, but I have a feeling that that story will only get more bizarre. I have them as my early favourite for 2015.

This morning was my first read of the Crystal Cox saga, and, well… she wins. Other than Roca, I don't see any of the other contenders as having the same breadth and scope of narcissistic asshattery required to actually sue a judge for ruling against her. I mean, she should almost be disqualified as overqualified for this award.

61. Sass says

This is one of those competitions where I think it really might be appropriate to give every one of these special snowflakes a trophy — except for Patrick and Ken. The only harm you've committed is hurt feelings.

62. Shay Simmons says

I went with Ardis because usually when an Illinois asshat hits the news, it's someone from Chicago. 'Bout time the ones south of I-80 got some recognition.

63. Fasolt says

@L:

My first reaction to Kirby Delauter's little diatribe?

I know, I'm using his name without authorization, but I can't help it.

Second reaction?

Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter.

Kirby, I breathlessly await receiving the subpoena notice from my ISP. You may also be interested in hiring this guy as an intern. You can commiserate over your treatment at the hands of all those meanies in the media and social media.

64. Fasolt says

Here's the link to the article at the Frederick News-Post that L and Volokh refer to.

Money quote from Terry Headlee, the Chief Editor at the FNP:

"Kirby Delauter can certainly decline to comment on any story," Headlee said. "But to threaten to sue a reporter for publishing his name is so ridiculously stupid that I'm speechless. It's just a pointless, misguided attempt to intimidate and bully the press and shows an astonishing lack of understanding of the role of a public servant.”

Another doofus who looks like to be right up there with Delauter on understanding the Constitution is fellow councilman Billy Shreve. His take on the matter?

Shreve, R-at large, told The News-Post in a phone interview he supported Delauter taking legal actions.

“I did not see his post, but I think The News-Post is extremely biased and someone should sue them,” Shreve said.

When asked if news media outlets should obtain permission to publish an elected official's name or reference, Shreve said, “I think media outlets are cowards and they hide behind the label of journalists and that's a bully pulpit to expand their liberal (agenda)."

Notice he didn't answer the question posed. I believe that was a yes or no question. And could someone point me to a good resource to research Bias Law? I'm unfamiliar with those laws..

65. Fasolt says

Could you imagine the perfect storm of asshattery if Kirby Delauter got together with Censorious Asshat Hall of Famer Brett Kimberlin? Brett already has the Maryland case under his belt, so he'd be so helpful to Kirby in this blatant disregard of the Name Usage Laws by Bethany Rodgers.

Someone has to get these two together.

66. Fasolt says

Delauter throws out a half-assed mea culpa:

The first amendment is alive and well in Frederick County. As a public figure working to maintain and improve the county, it can be very frustrating to feel misrepresented or misinterpreted by a local media outlet.

Over my career I have fired off my fair share of angry e-mails, which in hindsight I wish I hadn't. I can't think of one that had a positive effect. Usually, they only served to escalate the conflict. I thought I had long ago learned the lesson of waiting 24 hours before I hit the send key, but apparently I didn't learn that lesson as well as I should have.

Of course, as I am an elected official, the Frederick News-Post has the right to use my name in any article related to the running of the county — that comes with the job. So yes, my statement to the Frederick News-Post regarding the use of my name was wrong and inappropriate. I'm not afraid to admit when I’m wrong.

I got elected to serve all the citizens of northern Frederick County, Democrats as well as Republicans. I look forward to the local papers covering my effort in that regard.”

The bold emphasis in the quote are mine. See the problem he still has? In paragraph one he blames a "local media outlet" for misrepresenting or misinterpreting him. I didn't see any misinterpretations or misinterpretations. Then he veers back into asshat mode by saying they have "the right to use his name in any article related to the running of the county." Actually, Kirby, they have the right to use your name for anything. No, really.

Then the last statement, "I look forward to the local papers covering my effort in that regard." Again, with that goofy qualification that they can use his name as long as they write about the county running thing.

Here's what he should have said:

The First Amendment is alive and well in Frederick County. Of course, as I am an elected official, the Frederick News-Post has the right to use my name, that comes with the job. So yes, my statement to the Frederick News-Post regarding the use of my name was wrong and inappropriate. I'm not afraid to admit when I’m wrong.

67. CT says

Dishonorable mention to whatever group of investors and PR agencies are responsible for censoring the Reddit discussion of Zoe Quinn's DMCA abuse against Mundane Matt, and the fractal censorship of discussions of the censorship of discussions of the censorship of discussions of the censorship…

What makes this extraordinary is the longetivity. They are still at it four months later. Wikipedia has started permabanning veteran editors for discussing the issue offsite. Someone hired Lizard Squad to DDOS 8chan because it's one of the last major community websites that allows people to talk about it (that's according to the lizards), and Patreon was coerced into changing its terms of service to ban 8chan and only 8chan from receiving donations. It's like a huge chunk of the Internet has turned into Soviet Russia with party lines and severe punishment for the slightest dissent.

Intel just promised these people $300 million. That's no small chunk of change. Something is up.